Accuracy issues - who or what is to blame?

For "me" If I know the rifle and load are capable of 1/4-1/2" accuracy, then "I" need to work on proper form/technique not blame the rifle. In answer to the OPs question, IMHO "most" quality modern rifles/optics are capable of performing better than the driver, so hopefully us a shooters are being honest with ourselves concerning our abilities. My .02

Most rifles are not repeatedly accurate to 1/4"-1/2". An occasional hummer group is nice to see but is essentially meaningless.

That kind of accuracy requires an accurate rifle with a good barrel and bedding. Then it must be feed compatibly accurate ammo. All this before the Indian even lifts the rifle from the bench.

Just my 2 cents

Most rifles are not repeatedly accurate to 1/4"-1/2". An occasional hummer group is nice to see but is essentially meaningless.

That kind of accuracy requires an accurate rifle with a good barrel and bedding. Then it must be feed compatibly accurate ammo. All this before the Indian even lifts the rifle from the bench.

Just my 2 cents
Agreed. I do believe if your going to shoot long (+1K) a rifle must repeat 1/2 moa, and as you stated above all of those things and then some will be incorporated into said rifle. Also as stated above "wind" is our greatest enemy at distance. But everything plays a role. A good shooting rifle builds confidence. Also just my .02

GSP, I've often wondered this myself. I've been around a lot of shooters in my nearly 50 years. I could count on one hand the number of guys that had the equipment and talent to shoot a multi-shot 1/4" group (excluding guys at actual benchrest competitions). However, when I get on internet forums, it seems nearly everyone routinely shoots this well.

GSP, I've often wondered this myself. I've been around a lot of shooters in my nearly 50 years. I could count on one hand the number of guys that had the equipment and talent to shoot a multi-shot 1/4" group (excluding guys at actual benchrest competitions). However, when I get on internet forums, it seems nearly everyone routinely shoots this well.

I'm 77 and know three shooters. The rest play at shooting.

In my opinion (and that is all it is) .25-.5 MOA accuracy on a bench is just a means to grade the predictability of your equipment. I don't know that .25 MOA is any more relevant to a actual field scenario than 1 MOA is as long as both are predictable and repeatable. Many argue and say it is **** important on an elk at 700-800 yards, but in my thinking by the time you add in the environmental elements and the crazy things a wild animal does at the last minute, one facet of the whole stone seems irrelevant if taken by itself. It simply means you have made one unpredictable piece of the puzzle predictable. PRS is the same, a predictable rifle just takes one thing off your mind.

I shoot almost exclusively off a bench because I do not hunt much and I have a couple rifles that will predictably shoot .5 MOA, but when I do hunt groundhogs with my buddy he tends to smoke me because he shoots his 1 MOA rifle off fence posts and hay bales almost exclusively.

I have been reading a lot of threads about guys chasing 1/4-1/2 MOA accuracy with their rifles. I know there are some legit marksman on here, but what are the chances that some of these folks just aren't 1/4-1/2 moa shooters and start blaming their equipment?
Real good chance. Had people bring me rifles and say manufacture says it will shoot under half inch. I take them to my range get them all set up and let them shoot couple of rounds. Then ask for the gun and hand it back empty. Watch them flinch. Then ask how they are shooting quarter inch groups flinching like that. Had several I never heard from again.

I take myself out of the equation and use a led sled.I get the scope on dead center and use a 10 inch 1/8 metal rod with a 90 degree bend to pull the trigger.I also use a strap around the front of the action but not super tight.
You are correct sir,the rifle will shoot super groups and I chase the accuracy with myself without the led sled.
On a good day I can keep up with the led sled but not every day is a good day.

I take myself out of the equation and use a led sled.I get the scope on dead center and use a 10 inch 1/8 metal rod with a 90 degree bend to pull the trigger.I also use a strap around the front of the action but not super tight.
You are correct sir,the rifle will shoot super groups and I chase the accuracy with myself without the led sled.
On a good day I can keep up with the led sled but not every day is a good day.
Personally I am not a fan of leadsleds for zeroing and shooting groups. I understand why some people use them though.