Abrasive bore pastes

lurcher

Just wondering which of the abrasive bore pastes (iosso, Jb's or others) you guys prefer what brushing technique do you favour and how frequently would you give your barrel an abrasive treatment? In particular to remove the carbon ring at the throat.

cheers in advance

I use JB my self, but I would not use it a lot,maybe every 100-200 rounds if that. If you have a good barrel (after market) you sould not need to do this at all.When using JB or some thing like that you are removing metal ever so little,but still removing some.The biggest thing people do when doing this is to mess up the throat of the barrel.I use black powder gel by Shooter Chose for removing carbon buildup.hope this helps Tim

I also use JB´s

for my 6.5-284. which develops a nasty habit of carbon fouling around the throat area.

every match I shoot with my rifle is a 60 shot affair and cleaning takes time, usually use bore scrubber all night with a plugged bore, and on the morning I unplug, and use some of jb´s. sometimes I finnish with a few strokes and sometimes it requires a lot of strokes with the bronze brush.

barrel is a shilen with about 550 shots.

my two cents.

Joe from mexico.

I've been using JB for over 24 years.....

I also make my own abrasives.

On large over bore cartridges or after a large number of shots such as p. dog shooting, use the followiing method: Push 3 patches of Montana extreme through the bore to get rid of the loose powder fouling. Then take JB and work it into 5 patches. On a tight Punch type jag, scrub the bore with short strokes back and forth. Follow with 5 patches soaked in Montana Extreme's 50 BMG copper solvent, scrubbing with these patches also. Your copper will be gone with this cleaning method.

We developed this method in the late 70's and early 80's when p. dog shooting was 650-1200 rounds of centerfire a day. We did use the good Hoppes at that time along with a mixture of "blue goop" for copper removal.

Most brushes are good only for 100 strokes max, then they are trash. I save them and in extreme cases will brush with JB using these wore out brushes.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.