A one rifle life

Guess I looked at it from the One gun for life angle and I'd have to go with a mild loaded 150gr 308 , around say 2750 -2800fps
Or a 6.5x55 140gr loaded around 2700fps
Barrel will last forever and both accurate and capable.

I would take my rem 700 spsdg in 375 h and h mag, on deer, you can eat up to the hole. would kinda make a mess of squirrels , but I did take a coyote with it. Dead right there, its extremely accurate with 250 sierra game kings.

I would take my rem 700 spsdg in 375 h and h mag, on deer, you can eat up to the hole. would kinda make a mess of squirrels , but I did take a coyote with it. Dead right there, its extremely accurate with 250 sierra game kings.

Now thats funny:D. I caught all kinds of grief for smokin a coyote with my 300wby, but you just sailed right past me.:D Truth be told, dogs are a target of opportunity for me, so I use whatever is in my hands at the moment. I dont usually hunt them on purpose, tho on the rare occasions that I did it was alot of fun.
So I guess if I had a 375 H&H in my hands, and a dog walked out, Id have done the same thing:D.

After thinking about this and going through all my current rifles. Then thinking the rifles and calibers I still would like to have. I can only say that it has to be a bolt action, 308 with a 10 twist, 24" medium palma barrel.

honestly winmag, I really figured it would turn one dog into two, the "375 elephant rifle", it just made a guarter size hole. I actually was a little dumbfounded, it sounded like a bag of soup when I picked him up.

honestly winmag, I really figured it would turn one dog into two, the "375 elephant rifle", it just made a guarter size hole. I actually was a little dumbfounded, it sounded like a bag of soup when I picked him up.

Are you shooting hard cast bullets?...If you were shooting soft lead, the dog would have probably exploded, but a hard cast will rip right through a thin skinned critter without expanding and causing a lot of damage...

I have only owned one center fire rifle (besides AR-15 platform) my whole life. Most of my family is that way. Buy a rifle, marry a good woman, and keep them both. You just loose money and time getting rid of ether one. My grandpa still has his Winchester 1894 .38-55 and has been married for ... 56 years.

Mine is a Winchester M70 7mm Rem Mag. Push fead, 26" barrel with a brake, and trigger down to 3 ish lbs. It is getting a new stock and Leupold VX-III glass for His birthday. And for those that want to know, been married since I was 19 (really not that long). To the same woman. Think I'll keep her. And the wife.

I would have to say my smith and wesson 1500(howa action) 7mm rem mag. Its a very consistent 1 moa shooter never had a hiccup with it. Confident killing power for any game in north America and can do it from a distance if I choose. Like the .308 as well but I think the bit of extra oomph is nice for reaching out there

P.S- .375 H&H for doggin.lol excessive for sure but I like your style lol

a 308 semi heavy barrel about 22" long in a mcmillan general hunter stock with a badger ordnance dm kit fitted , topped with a 3.5-10x40 leupold mark 4 with M3 turrets , should be able to get ammo no problem for well into the forseeable future and 308 will do most everything you could need to , it's not perfect for every job but it will get the job done?

Ruger No 1, or 3, prefer stainless and grey laminated stock, in 270 Win with Nikon.

I agree with 308, and the ammo supply no one mentioned (I'm not mentioning).

Maybe 45-70, replica sharps.

Not having shot any of the WSM's, I would currently go with a custom 7mm mag weighing about 9lbs without a scope shoointing 180 Bergers. I think this would just about allow me to take anything in North America to exclude the big bears. Not to say it would not do the job, I would just feel better with a bigger bullet!

a 308 semi heavy barrel about 22" long in a mcmillan general hunter stock with a badger ordnance dm kit fitted , topped with a 3.5-10x40 leupold mark 4 with M3 turrets , should be able to get ammo no problem for well into the forseeable future and 308 will do most everything you could need to , it's not perfect for every job but it will get the job done?

That would be it!:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.