A one rifle life

I already own the rifle I would stick with if I had to forsake all others: A Remington M700 Custom Shop KS Mt Rifle I bought in 1987 or 1988 in .338 Winchester Magnum. It shoots 1/2 MOA with 225 gr Accubonds doing 2900 fps. I only hunt deer or larger though. With this rifle I've shot 100lb whitetails in South Carolina to 1000 lb roosevelt elk in Oregon and I would not be afraid to hunt anything else on this planet with it either; although I might change bullets depending on the game.

Now that I think about it though I would be afraid to hunt plentiful small game with it, because after about 10 shots with this 7lb (total weight with scope), 47 ft lbs of recoil, rifle I do start to wimper a little bit.

It's so accurate, never let me down, have so much confidence in it over all package is why I'd choose it above all others. I'm not saying the particular rifle model or caliber is the best ever, I'm just saying it works for me. I have 7 other rifles but I love "My" KS Mt Rifle.

I don't think there is a wrong answer to this question! I like all the answers I have read. Would your answers change if you were allowed a shotgun and pistol to go with this rifle?

I actually did that for a number of years. Or maybe better yet is to explain to you the fact that I used one particular caliber for a number of years exclusively and still just do just about all my hunting with it as I have taken everything from Prairie dogs to Deer with it. I would of shot my elk with it but my hunting partner got off the first shot and dropped his bull with the same caliber rifle at 350 yards with one shot to the neck.
I have shot deer out to 750 with it and coyotes almost as far. Antelope at 550 and 700 were my longest shots on those. As long as you pick your shots and know your gun and its drops it is one awesome rifle caliber in a good gun.
If I could only have one caliber rifle it would be the .25-06

I think I would find me a new wife if I could only have one rifle....

But for the sake of the thread: All of my current guns are endeavor specific, so I would have to buy one...woohoo! I think I would run with a 700XCR chambered in 308. I love the 700 action, having it treated against the elements to last a lifetime helps, and I don't think anyone can go wrong with the 308. As already said, I could go up against all wildlife in NA including keeping any 2 legged critters at bay.

I think I would find me a new wife if I could only have one rifle....

But for the sake of the thread: All of my current guns are endeavor specific, so I would have to buy one...woohoo! I think I would run with a 700XCR chambered in 308. I love the 700 action, having it treated against the elements to last a lifetime helps, and I don't think anyone can go wrong with the 308. As already said, I could go up against all wildlife in NA including keeping any 2 legged critters at bay.

+1!!

I cant pick one but I can narrow it down to 3 that are in the running. my Tikka 25-06, my custom 338 Lapua or my Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker in 7mm remington... but thats like asking me to pick between kids... i cant do it.

+1!!

I cant pick one but I can narrow it down to 3 that are in the running. my Tikka 25-06, my custom 338 Lapua or my Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker in 7mm remington... but thats like asking me to pick between kids... i cant do it.

Tikkamike,

Don't do anything rash, we aren't asking you to sell any of the kids! This really made me laugh!!! I feel the same way. There is no way to do everything with one rifle. Some work better than others though. I just wanted to see what way long range hunting tainted the caliber selection. My father has owned a browning 7mm Remington Magnum and uses it exclusively, but all be does is elk hunt twice a year. He is one of those guys that practices for a month before elk season, then puts the rifle away till next year. That just doesn't work for me. I am starting to love the 308 more and more. Mainly do to the barrel life and cost of reloading.

I would have to pick a 308 in a remington 700 or a model 70 with a claw. The reason I would pick the 308 is cheap ammo, good barrel life, and usually someone else I know has ammo for it if I run out.

I'm going to have to go with a .270 (Win or WSM). They offer a good range of bullets and won't kick ya to death. It will offer good barrel life and can be loaded to poke deer size critters to 1000+ given the right variables. You could only do better with a 7mmRM or 6.5x284 which neither will give you the barrel longevity of a .270. Don't get me wrong with this comment about 308's. I love'em and own one, but I think it will leave you wanting when it comes to making really long pokes. I am a firm believer it is a strong rifle to 800yrds, but shot placement would be crucial and you can't go much bigger than a North Eastern Whitetail.

As far as rifle is concerned, if I didn't want to have to dicker with it a whole lot, then the Savage would be my rifle of choice with an accu-trigger. If I felt a little spunky, I would like to build something off of a Howa action.

Come to think of it, if it is a one time purchase and not given a limited budget I would go with a full custom rifle with inter changeable barrel option.

Tank

Last edited:
for me it would have to be the 22mag in one of the marlin flavors..i know this will have alot of you guys scratchin your heads, but compared to centerfire rifles, ammo is dirt cheap, so you can shoot the hell out of it, its great on small game, if i were starving i might even try it on medium sized game, very low noise signature, no recoil, lightweight platform and ammo, and the list goes on...what's not to love in a 22mag?

for me it would have to be the 22mag in one of the marlin flavors..i know this will have alot of you guys scratchin your heads, but compared to centerfire rifles, ammo is dirt cheap, so you can shoot the hell out of it, its great on small game, if i were starving i might even try it on medium sized game, very low noise signature, no recoil, lightweight platform and ammo, and the list goes on...what's not to love in a 22mag?

When it comes to survival i would have to agree, but since he is planning on hunting medium to heavy game legally, then a larger caliber is necessary.

Tank

I guess I read this thread from a different angle
One for life means....
Not the only gun but the one to go two!
That for me Model 742 woodsmaster in 308 bought in 1964
Never failed me
New guns in the last years as a lefty
Older and time for LH Bolts guns:)
30-06,300 RUM,338 RUM Like them all, looking for 270 LH
But go back to 308 in a heartbeat

When it comes to survival i would have to agree, but since he is planning on hunting medium to heavy game legally, then a larger caliber is necessary.

Tank

I guess i read the post wrong...i was thinking along the lines of if you could nly have one rifle for the rest of your life..etc...thats why i went with the 22 mag...if it is along the lines of one dedicated hunting rifle, i would have to go with the rem 700 or A bolt, or savage in 30-06...i know there are a lot of people out there that dont like the 06 for various reasons, but it has been around thhe block a few times, there is a butt-load of reloading data for it, and it will kill anything in north america with the right load..true, its not as sexy as it once was, and it dont have any gee whiz acronyms appelled to its name, but it gets the jub done with just as much class as any of the new 338superdupershootsaroundcornersdeadflatatonemillionmetersmagnums...thats 338sdsacdfaommm..not to be confused with the 30superdupershootsaroundcornersdeadflatatonemillionmetersultrashortmagnum or 30sdsacdfaommusm .....Ackley Improved...what's that?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.