Barrel life

Hi if you are going to spot and stalk to a position i would say get a 338 Edge through Shawn or if you want the maximum range and power a 338 Allen Mag built through Kerby. Either way you will have an awsome custom made rifle designed for long range hunting from the ground up with no comprimise. If you go for a 338 Edge you can however use any long action magnum Sendaro as a base. You can also use a Rem 700 270 or 3006 action and have the bolt face opened and a Sako type extractor fitted and the mag feed lips altered to suit. If you dont like things like Rem Safety's you have 2 other options for safetys. You can have a Jewell trigger fited with either the safety in the same place or in front of the trigger inside the trigger guard. Or you could have a Gentry 3 position winchester type fitted to the bolt the come as a complete bolt shroud asembly.

I am building a 338-300 Ultra improved and am having a Jewell trigger fitted and using the Gentry 3 position safety on the bolt as i will sleve the action and then could not use a conventional Remington type safety.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Tom

Barrel life is effected by many factors,

Overbore cartridges are the worst offenders.

High Velocity is another. and the type of powder used
can also shorten barrel life.

Throat erosion is the first thing to happen then the crown
is next but I have seen rifles in military armories
with over 50,000 rounds that still shot well.

As you know the military uses ball powders and keeps velocities below 3000 fps on all but the special purpose
weapons (sniper,etc) to minimize throat erosion.

Some people have shot thousands of rounds with no loss of
accuracy with large overbore cartriges like the RUMs.

So buy what you want for the intended use and clean as
often as possible and when accuracy falls off try a
thorough cleaning as someone suggested and then take a bore scope and look at the throat, If it is eroded have a gunsmith set the chamber back.

Another thing to consider is a stainless barrel, they dont
erode as fast as cromemolly and can be left unclean longer
without problems (A hunting trip of a few weeks max)

A bore snake or dry patching after each shot helps hold
down the carbon buildup when hunting.

Good luck and good hunting

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.