A Middle Weight Contender

I am not stuck on a Short action. In fact I have a remington 700 long action that has just come available. So this could change a few options. I hadn't considered the 284 winchester but seems viable enough. I also would consider the 264 win mag. does anyone have any experience with a 7mm-08 Improved? I still think that even the 260 with a 130 grain berger is a very hard to beat combination.
On the latter you are certainly correct especially when you consider barrel life.

With the LA though you now get to choose between the .260, 6.5x.284, and .264wm.

The .260 still wins as far as barrel life goes, but the other two beat it a hair in performance. The price for that barrel is shorter barrel life but if you get a good quality stainless barrel and have it melonited honestly unless you go nuts shooting it hot it's going to last a very long time. Best life with the .260 good with the other two.

There really is no bad choice here.

On the latter you are certainly correct especially when you consider barrel life.

With the LA though you now get to choose between the .260, 6.5x.284, and .264wm.

The .260 still wins as far as barrel life goes, but the other two beat it a hair in performance. The price for that barrel is shorter barrel life but if you get a good quality stainless barrel and have it melonited honestly unless you go nuts shooting it hot it's going to last a very long time. Best life with the .260 good with the other two.

There really is no bad choice here.

If you go there, I say just step to 280 AI

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.