a little help with a 338 Lapua reloading issue

majog

To start with I have been reloading for over 30 years and never ran into the issue I am having before. I have a Savage 110 Elite Precision in 338 Laupa Mag. Any size factory loads load, shoot, and cycle out the empty just fine. When I try any reload it load easily and seats fine in the chamber without any extra bolt pressure or forcing required. It shoots and even groups well but all the reloaded brass I try then has to extracted with the assistance of a long dowel or a cleaning rod inserted at the barrel and tapping the case out of the camber. I have miked the brass before and after shooting the round. They are almost exact with the spec's in my new Lee reloading guide and what i found on the web. .584" at the base, .544-.546 at the base of the neck, and .370-.372 at the bullet seat. Case length is 2.725 and also within specs noted as factory. Overall length matches the factory rounds I have that shoot fine.

I am loading a Hornady 250gr BT Spire Point using Retumbo powder. From everything I could find the reloading data states start at 90 gr of Retumbo and don't exceed 100 gr. I have tried going up 1 grain at time from 85 grains to 98. Same problem with every round I shoot. I use a full size resizer from RCBS for each load. Since it only happens on reloads I am thinking it has to be in the powder or something I am missing. I will note I have only tried this caliber with Retumbo should I try a different powder?

Any thoughts or things I can check that I may have missed?

Getting way out on a limb here, but…..perhaps the brass is not "springing back" after firing. I've heard of something like this happening, but have never experienced it! memtb

Can you slide a bullet in a fired case without sizing?

Maybe neck portion of the chamber is very tight. Maybe turning necks may help.

Can you slide a bullet in a fired case without sizing?

Maybe neck portion of the chamber is very tight. Maybe turning necks may help.
I just tried it and although a bit tight I can. The neck is obviously expanding when the bullet leaves the chamber. Interesting though the neck is still within the case specs noted in the reloading manual and just like .004 over factory load.

I just tried it and although a bit tight I can. The neck is obviously expanding when the bullet leaves the chamber. Interesting though the neck is still within the case specs noted in the reloading manual and just like .004 over factory load.
I've been running 94 Grains of retumbo, in
image.jpg
my 338 lapua for years your load might be a little hotter than you think.

2937 with Retumbo I have another load with reloader 26 traveling 3100 with a 225 barnes and a load with reloader 33 at about 3000 ft./s. All with lapua brass, no brass sticking in chamber.
I had a 338 from Christensen that showed pressure on every single shot I put down the tube. Pretty similar to the OP issues. I just dealt with a slow crappy chamber and barrel till I just ordered a new one.

I had a 338 from Christensen that showed pressure on every single shot I put down the tube. Pretty similar to the OP issues. I just dealt with a slow crappy chamber and barrel till I just ordered a new one.
I'm running a bartlein 28 inch 9.3 twist. And I already know my notes suck. lol.

To start with I have been reloading for over 30 years and never ran into the issue I am having before. I have a Savage 110 Elite Precision in 338 Laupa Mag. Any size factory loads load, shoot, and cycle out the empty just fine. When I try any reload it load easily and seats fine in the chamber without any extra bolt pressure or forcing required. It shoots and even groups well but all the reloaded brass I try then has to extracted with the assistance of a long dowel or a cleaning rod inserted at the barrel and tapping the case out of the camber. I have miked the brass before and after shooting the round. They are almost exact with the spec's in my new Lee reloading guide and what i found on the web. .584" at the base, .544-.546 at the base of the neck, and .370-.372 at the bullet seat. Case length is 2.725 and also within specs noted as factory. Overall length matches the factory rounds I have that shoot fine.

I am loading a Hornady 250gr BT Spire Point using Retumbo powder. From everything I could find the reloading data states start at 90 gr of Retumbo and don't exceed 100 gr. I have tried going up 1 grain at time from 85 grains to 98. Same problem with every round I shoot. I use a full size resizer from RCBS for each load. Since it only happens on reloads I am thinking it has to be in the powder or something I am missing. I will note I have only tried this caliber with Retumbo should I try a different powder?

Any thoughts or things I can check that I may have missed?
What BRASS are you using? The same factory ammo reloaded?
If the rifle is Factory and Factory Chambered and no problems with New Factory Ammo, then it has to do with your reloads. There maybe something going on with your Sizing die. Are these Dies that you are using new, used and have you ever loaded with them before?
Try borrowing another sizer die. If you reload with a fired factory cartridge and another die the issue may be solved.