338 lapua reloading help

Mick338

Hi everyone I'm new to the site and I was wondering if I could get some help
On reloading my savage 111 338 lapua. I recently finished running my rifle in with hand loads that are lapua brass ADI2217 powder 300grain sierras and powder weight 83grains. I went to my local range to run it in at 50m the rifle grouped perfect I had it shooting same hole. I recently just got back from my friends farm and I tried to zero the rifle in at 300m and had know luck with the groups, there was know wind it was a perfect day and the best group I got was about a tennis ball size. I'm just wondering if anyone might be able to recommend something different for me to try that work we'll for them. As for projectile size I would like to only use either 300g 250g if I can thanks

I have the same rifle. After load development I settled on Hornady 285's, 91.5 grains H1000 for 2800 FPS. You shooting off a bipod? Bench, prone, etc???? 83 grains of ADI 2217 (H1000 equivalent) seems pretty light. When I was shooting 300 Berger OTM's I went high as 91 grains with no pressure signs. That got me to 2700 FPS.
Never got any 300 pills to shoot well. Try some 285's.

Yeah I'm shooting off a bipod I'm really happy with the overal rifle I just need to find the right load. I will give your loads a go and ill let you know what the results are thanks for your help really appriciate it

Yeah I'm going to start doing that it's just hard because for me the closest range is at st Mary's and my friends farm which is at goulburn. Ill be going back to goulburn in a couple of weeks so ill start a 100 and I want to zero in at 300

I have the same rifle and I am shooting the 300 Grain Berger OTM at 2775 FPS with 91 grains of retumbo. I am getting 5 FPS ES and they are seated to 3.775. So they fit in the mag and shoot well under an inch at 100. I have yet to run it out further at the range that comes next time. Hope this helps.

Brandon

Hi yes all Information helps! so far with what I have gathered my guess is my muzzle volocity is Not enough for that distance I am pushing 2385 fps I'm also looking at trying hornady 250g bthp with ADI2209 muzzle volocity 2740

Ok that's good to know! In going to my local gun store this week and I'm picking up the new projectiles. I'm going to try a couple different loads with the 250grains

Ok I done two different types of loads today. I loaded 20 rounds of ADI 2209 78grains 250grain hornady bthp muzzle voilocity 2740 and 20 rounds of ADI 2217 88grains 250grain hornady bthp muzzle voilocity 2565. I'm going to give them a go in the next couple of weeks ill let you all know how they go

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.