A bit of a problem

jwall3d11

Hello all, I'm having a bit of an issue with a newer build I had done. The gun is a semi custom built on a Remington 700 action, Timney trigger, and Talley 2 piece rings holding a Zeiss 4.5-14 Conquest scope. The first time I shot it I had a hard time getting on paper. I had bore sighted it before shooting like I always do but I hadn't cut paper from the bench which I usually do. So in the middle of shooting I try to bore sight it again and realize that when the barrel is pointed at the target the scope is about 18" left. I adjust and shoot adjust and shoot adjust and shoot... until the scope has no more adjustment. Windage on the scope is maxed out and I'm still hitting 7" to the right at 50 yards. I shot three rounds for a group just to be sure and the group was acceptable (under 1/2"). I've had the scope on other guns and it worked fine. The rings are lapped and tight. I've basically done this twice now to try and figure it out but with the same results. The only thing I can think of is that the scope mounting screws in the action were drilled wrong. Do you guys have any other ideas?

Thanks for your time
Jeremy

I will check it again but I think it's more like they are all 4 in a row but maybe not straight with the centerline of the action.

I will check it again but I think it's more like they are all 4 in a row but maybe not straight with the centerline of the action.

Oh I see, if there is a consistent reference line down the top side of your action could you use a dial caliper and measure from the edge of each hole to the outer edge of the action and see if they stray off center as you move down the holes?

If the mount holes are off center, you can use Burris Signature rings with a set of MOA insets to fix it. You can get about 30 MOA of windage alignment with them. Could also use a traditional set of mounts with rear windage adjustment, like Leupolds. Otherwise the holes might have to be filled and retapped to align them.

Is it an old or new action? Do you just have it rebarreled?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.