TV show American guns I'm a bit turned off

It's over-dramatized just like Sons of Guns and other shows, but it's more entertaining than a lot of the programming. I'm gonna guess that you're a little more firearms savvy than their average viewer.

Hey... How about that CNC Mill? I gotta get one of those. Alas... Not only won't it fit in my garage... I'd have to sell the house.

-- richard

Regarding the high prices.... Someone's gotta pay for the helicopter fuel, maintenance, pilot, etc... to run between the shop, range, and making deals.

...and, that wife and daughter look pretty high maintenance too

;-)

I've seen the show for a couple of months now off and on. The prices are beyond ridiculous. These guys are NOT D'arcy Echols.

When I listened to some of the prices for their "custom" guns I said to myself, either this is inflated for TV or each and every one of their customers is as dumb as they come to pay such prices for what I perceive to be run-of-the-mill in house gunsmiths.

If they have customers willing to fork out 7 house payments on what they do, then they deserve to be robbed blind.

That surgical plastic isn't cheap...thus why the guns cost so much to build. Gotta be about 15lbs a set.

You gotta pay so he can play :D

Yes. Gunsmoke.

I think we're ragging on them a bit much.

It's heavily dramatized for TV. ...not unlike Sons of Guns, Pawn Stars, Swamp People

I expect the general public would be bored to tears watching a show with a really good smith dialing in a barrel.

Come to think of it... I need to go back and watch my Darrel Holland and Gordy Gritters DVDs and see what more I can learn. ...nahhh, it's less painful to screw up a new Kreiger and just start over. :)

And if my wife would get interested in guns, I'd sure enough buy her a set of DD's. But, I can barely get her to fry up fresh backstrap.

-- richard

It's over-dramatized just like Sons of Guns and other shows, but it's more entertaining than a lot of the programming. I'm gonna guess that you're a little more firearms savvy than their average viewer.

Hey... How about that CNC Mill? I gotta get one of those. Alas... Not only won't it fit in my garage... I'd have to sell the house.

-- richard

I have a couple (CNC mills). It's not about selling the house, it's about having a profitable use for one or more...

Garages are the worst place for any precision machinery. Garages are for vehicles. To maintain accuracy and machine viability, you need a climate controlled enviroment and a substantial base, like concrete, in my case 8" thick, heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer.

A nice overhead crane works for setting heavy machines....have on of those too.

You'll need a good air supply because all CNC machines utilize clean high pressure air so a compressor is in order, preferrably a rotary screw with a refrigerated dryer. I have 3.

Finally, you can have the best CNC equipment available and if you don't have the programming knowledge plus the knowledge in tool and cutter application, the machine, for that matter any machine, CNC or manual is just an expensive paperweight.

I have my journeymans card it T&D and I'm learning everyday.

It's all about wants and what you really need.....

Your local machine shop would be the go-to place. They already have the knowledge and the machinery. Let them do it. You'll be farther ahead.

I watch most of these shows for a while and then get tired of all the hype.

Someone said it would be boring to watch a world class Gunsmith and they are probably right
for the average audience but I hate to see some of the deals go down on some of those shows
and see the client get screwed.

Most of the members on this site would tell these guys to stick it where the sun don't shine
if the were told the price and level of craftsmanship they would end up with.

"BUT" it is TV and they are making Lot's of money, so It is what it is.

J E CUSTOM

I have a couple (CNC mills). It's not about selling the house, it's about having a profitable use for one or more...

Garages are the worst place for any precision machinery. Garages are for vehicles. To maintain accuracy and machine viability, you need a climate controlled enviroment and a substantial base, like concrete, in my case 8" thick, heated in the winter and air conditioned in the summer.

A nice overhead crane works for setting heavy machines....have on of those too.

You'll need a good air supply because all CNC machines utilize clean high pressure air so a compressor is in order, preferrably a rotary screw with a refrigerated dryer. I have 3.

Finally, you can have the best CNC equipment available and if you don't have the programming knowledge plus the knowledge in tool and cutter application, the machine, for that matter any machine, CNC or manual is just an expensive paperweight.

I have my journeymans card it T&D and I'm learning everyday.

It's all about wants and what you really need.....

Your local machine shop would be the go-to place. They already have the knowledge and the machinery. Let them do it. You'll be farther ahead.

All good points. It sounds like you have a nice operation/business.

I was simply admiring his toys.

If folks on this website would work on their stalking skills, they could be killing deer and elk with $200 Mossbergs at close range. :) If it's within your means, sometimes you just do it because you want to.

Cheers!
-- richard

...wanting to do something, and executing it properly are 2 entirely different animals......

When you get into the mechanics of firearms, it's always prudent to leave the mechanics, especially remachining of internal components, to an experienced person.

Do I have the equipment to custom machine components, sure do...

Do I have the expertise? No.

Would I? No.

Guns go bang. The bang if not properly executed could equate to personal injury or death, nothwithstand poor accuracy or rendering what was a well made (in the first place) firearm...degrading it to something that isn't viable anymore.

I get a kick out of TV and all these 'shows'. What they elaborate to and what is actually doable is 2 entirely different things.

TV is entertainment, nothing more and a whole lot less......

That applies to handloading too.

Experimentation without prior knowledge (or expertise) can be lethal.... :D

Its an entertaining show, over dramatized for sure. But I love that this is what is selling on cable TV now. Not mindless liberal BS.

And to answer a previous question, it is located in Golden, CO I believe. At least that is the town that is in the filler screen shots. I know that for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.