7rum hangfires???

On the reduced loads I had problems with,I had two that did not fire. I pulled the bullets on them and found the primer had indeed ignited,but the powder did not.You could see a slight discoloration to the powder.Maybe the primer was weak or maybe the powder was in a position that the primer flame was not making close enough contact to ignite the powder. This says a lot for having a full case and a hot primer to start it.

Was developing a load and using several different powder. Tried with rl25 same cci magnum primers and heard click boom. Sounded like muzzle loader going off. Then one of the three didn't even go off. All other powders and loads were fine. Any idea why it did this? Primer pockets were just cleaned and fine prior to loading. Thanks

I had the exact same thing in my 257 STW. Remington 700, trued up action, pacnor barrel. Using Remington brass R-25, CCI magnum primers and a 110 acubond.
Almost everyone was a hang fire, was worse than a muzzle loader. Changed to a Federal 215 primer and the problem was solved.

I use the primers in my 22-284 now with R-25 and a 80 grain Berger and they work fine in that combination.

The Hornady 7th edition Handbook of reloading, the only one I could find with data for it when I bought my 7 rum , says when loading for a cartridge such as this the( 7 rum ) there are a few things to be aware of only use powders that fill the case at least 80% any less can create the potential for inconsistent velocities and Dangerous pressure spikes second the 7 rum should be utilized as a hunting cartridge and situations that dictate prolonged firing should be avoided

There really is only one cause for hangfires, too little of a slow burning powder. When there's too much air space in the case, the primer ignition doesn't compress the powder enough and the granules fly around the primer flash and do not ignite properly, maybe 1-2% of the charge ignites, delaying the proper powder compression, then when the correct compression is reached the powder ignites the way it should. This phenomenon is what is believed to be the cause of S.E.E (Secondary Explosion Effect).
Never reduce loads below the start loads in large cases with powders from H4350 through to the slowest, especially double base stick or ball powders. The bigger the overbore ratio, the worse this gets. I built a 25WSM with a 26" barrel, it would hangfire at 5% below max and dent the case bodies the full length of the case, it would also soot the cases when ignition was poor with slow powders, max loads were the only way to keep it burning correctly.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.