7mm08

Tom Erickson

To start with I have a 28 nosler after last year I decided to get something a little lighter for long hikes . I ended up getting a Howa 1500 7mm08 I have some barns ttsx 150 grain bullets left over from my 28. What would be a good powder to start with

Two other powders not mentioned are Ramshot Hunter and Staball 6.5. Both of these powders deliver good velocity with heavier bullets. W760 is also a common 7-08 powder along with Ramshot Big Game. I'm currently using Varget in one rifle with 120 NBTs and the other 7-08 is a break action Bergara with a 25" barrel, tested some Hunter last week with 150gr ELDXs and ended up in the upper 2700s without pressure and good accuracy.

To start with I have a 28 nosler after last year I decided to get something a little lighter for long hikes . I ended up getting a Howa 1500 7mm08 I have some barns ttsx 150 grain bullets left over from my 28. What would be a good powder to start with

Varget or if a shorter barrel even a faster powder like AA2460 or similar.

H380 with 150 s shoots as well or better than H4350 and Varget in our 7-08 s. Might be easier to find since not as many guys shooting it.

I guess the better question is what can you find? I agree with most of the suggestions made so far. We love the 7mm-08s at my house and I hope you find yours as versatile as we do. I've found them easy to load for with several powders in the correct burn range. Our favorite is Varget.

I've been hunting with, shooting, and reloading the 7mm-08 for over 12 years. I've tried and shot about every bullet and powder combination one can imagine. At least in my rifle, R-17 and Big Game, have been the most accurate and fastest with 140 grn bullets and heavier. For 120's, Varget does best. The nice thing about the 7mm-08 is that it really isn't picky. Experiment a little, but your gun will likely tell you fairly fast what it likes. If I had only one powder to use for this round, I'd go with R-17. I've taken a lot of critters with this and the 140 TSX. Thank goodness I have an 8-lb jug of it!

Recent Posts