7mm08 vs .308

where did the 708 get its start from the 308 of course.look at the palma shooters and what they are shooting,
answer the 308 again. although I like both cartridges I am very happy with my 308 and its 28 inch pipe.Foreign, put some great reloads in your 308 and never look back. come on guys you know the 308 has a stellar reputation which is known for many years now. Long live the 308.

I own 7MM calibers also, regards and good shooting.JJMP

I like them both (308 and 7-08) I shot NRA high power for 12 years
and was never disapointed with the 308.

However I prefer the 7-08 for hunting because of the ballistics with 140gr
to 160gr bullets.

As far as accuracy my 7-08 will shoot sub 1/10" groups all day long but I
have never put a scope on my 308 match rifle but I'm sure it would do
about the same.

For years David Tubbs dominated High power at camp perry and State matches
with a 308, but changed to a 7-08 and continued his reign with it,now I think
he's using a 6.5x 308(260 rem) and has not let up.

For years the 168gr MK in 7mm had the highest BC of any bullet,Today that
has changed.

This one is to close to call
J E CUSTOM

so is there any load and distance where the .308 isw better.

No. The 308 is a great round, but when talking trajectory and wind drift it is second rate to the (anything?) 7/08. If there is not a particular reason for using the 308, IE. ammo availability, then the 7/08 is a superior round for LR shooting. Having said that, I wouldn't point the 7/08 at anything at any range that I wouldn't with the 308, and that would be a long way.......

BTW, "energy" means dick, when it comes to killing.......

On the plus side for the .308 is more frontal mass for a larger diameter wound channel and greater overall mass. Try sticking a 190VLD in your 7mm-08. :>)

I've got them both and would use them interchangeably for most hunting scenarios.

where did the 708 get its start from the 308 of course.look at the palma shooters and what they are shooting,
answer the 308 again. although I like both cartridges I am very happy with my 308 and its 28 inch pipe.Foreign, put some great reloads in your 308 and never look back. come on guys you know the 308 has a stellar reputation which is known for many years now. Long live the 308.

I own 7MM calibers also, regards and good shooting.JJMP
hey jjmp what wld u recomend as a good load. eg what bullet going around what speed. would like around 1000ft/lbs as far as possible.

foreign,any 165 bonded type pushed about 2800 fps should work fine out to 600 yds.180 's@2600 fps ie nbt,accubond,should be fine to 500 yds w/the same 1000 fps energy.heck you'd also do very well will a stought 150 boatail ie,barnes tripple shock.its not always about speed,accuracy should be first but some times we can get both. try Varget,reloader 15,imr/hodgon 4895,with a winchester case 210 fed/orcci's BR-2 primers. your mv will vary because of your barrel length,put thats true across the board with all cartridges. cross reference your loads with reloading manuals then load some and cronograph them in your rifle. hope this helped e-mail if you want more data. regards

No. The 308 is a great round, but when talking trajectory and wind drift it is second rate to the (anything?) 7/08. If there is not a particular reason for using the 308, IE. ammo availability, then the 7/08 is a superior round for LR shooting. Having said that, I wouldn't point the 7/08 at anything at any range that I wouldn't with the 308, and that would be a long way.......

BTW, "energy" means dick, when it comes to killing.......

Hey charles A. i get that energy doesnt substitute for accuracy but a bullet with 200ft/lbs that you can place into the kill zone of a deer probably will not do the job like one that has 1000ft/lbs. i just read somewhere that 100ft/lbs is a good number so am basing my decisions around it.what do you think??

Energy doesn't kill. Tissue disruption does. What's important is that there is sufficient velocity remaining for that particular bullet to upset.

For instance- a Barnes X may need 2,000fps to upset, where as a Ballistic-Tip may only need 1,000fps. All else being equal, the max range for sufficient tissue damage will be farther with the BT then the X. "Energy" has nothing to do with it.

that makes sence. so do you happen to know how much speed a hornady sst needs to open up?hence what its effective range on deer would be considering the 165gr (or is it 168) doing about 2750ftps

Not 100% on the SST's, however any of the non-bonded Plastic Tip (PT) bullets should get some expansion/fragmentation down to at least 1,500fps.

Energy is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass (The bullet) from rest to its current velocity. Energy does kill!!!

Below is directly quoted from Dr. Roberts

"As clearly illustrated in the relevant scientific literature over the past 20 years, kinetic energy or momentum transfer from a projectile to tissue is not a wounding mechanism. For that matter, neither is velocity. The amount of energy "deposited" in the body by a bullet is approximately equal to the amount transferred to the body when a person is hit by a fast pitch baseball. The amount of kinetic energy "deposited" or momentum transferred to a body by a projectile is not directly proportional to the amount of tissue damaged and is not a measure of wounding power. Wounds of vastly differing severity can be inflicted by bullets of identical kinetic energy and momentum. What the bullet does in the body--whether it yaws, deforms, or fragments, how deeply it penetrates, and what tissue it passes through is what determines wound severity, not kinetic energy or momentum.

In assessing bullet terminal performance, important data is how deeply do they penetrate, how much tissue is crushed and stretched, how is the terminal performance of these loads after first penetrating an intermediate barrier? How have these loads performed during scientific testing by respected researchers, such as the FBI, IWBA, JSWB-IPT? What are the autopsy results from officer involved shootings using these loads?"

At 600 yds, on targets, it's a toss-up for me. At 800 yds, also on targets, I would prefer the 7-08 humped up with a 162-168 gr high B/C bullet.

For hunting beyond 400 yds, I wouldn't use either one. I would use a big .30 pushing 200-220 gr bullets around 3000 fps.

Just my opinion (see my signature).

Good hunting, Tom
that's what i say ( If your going to be a bear be a grizzly) shoot a big AM!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts