7mm08 bullet question

foreign

im about to have a barrel made in 7mm08. what is the opinion of what i should get it chambered for, im debating between 162sst or the 154sst. im wondering if the 162gr bullet is a little to heavy and wont be able to be driven that fast. so would the lighter bullet be better. aiming to keep ranges inside 500yrds for animals. mainly tahr and red deer. maybe an wapiti once in a few years. what thoughts do people have
cheers

im about to have a barrel made in 7mm08. what is the opinion of what i should get it chambered for, im debating between 162sst or the 154sst. im wondering if the 162gr bullet is a little to heavy and wont be able to be driven that fast. so would the lighter bullet be better. aiming to keep ranges inside 500yrds for animals. mainly tahr and red deer. maybe an wapiti once in a few years. what thoughts do people have
cheers

With the 7/08 I recomend the 120gr ballistic tip or the 140gr Accubond If you want to go with
a heaver bullet in .284 then I would recomend the 7mm WSM and 160 gr Accubonds.

I'm not familiar with Tahr but the 120s will do the job out past 500 yards on white tailed deer.

The 160s will work but the velocity will be down in the 7/08 and trajectory's will suffer.

J E CUSTOM

hey JE
ive heard white tail are quite small the average red hind is probably 200lbs and a stag would be around 300lbs. a big bull tahr is a strong animall. ive had friends put 140gr 7mm08 rounds into them front on and have them run more than 200m down cliffs, up snow ect. so may need some more knock down power. dont wan to go bigger than a 7mm08 since i have the dies and brass already.
cheers

I'm pushing the 162 gr Amax at around 2700fps with Varget out of my 7-08 with a 23" barrel. I have some Re-17 that I've been wanting to try, but I just haven't gotten motivated yet.

Chris

hey JE
ive heard white tail are quite small the average red hind is probably 200lbs and a stag would be around 300lbs. a big bull tahr is a strong animall. ive had friends put 140gr 7mm08 rounds into them front on and have them run more than 200m down cliffs, up snow ect. so may need some more knock down power. dont wan to go bigger than a 7mm08 since i have the dies and brass already.
cheers

The reason I recommended the 120gr was because when I use 140 gr bullets the velocity
is down and the bullet does not perform as well on deer (It kills them but they run 30+
yards before folding.

It sounds like you should try 140gr Accubonds on the tahr because the tougher the hide
the better bullet performance will be, and you won't give up to much velocity and trajectory.

The largest bullet I recomend for the 7mm /08 is the 150 gr ballistic tip except on Elk (500
to 900 lbs and then I use 160gr Accubonds or a larger cartridge.

I love my 7/08s but they do have there limits.

J E CUSTOM

i own a rem model seven ls - 20 in barrel -i shoot 140 core lok - i have shot whitetails from 20 to 200 yards and antelope at 310 , none of them took another step. only modification it trigger pull weight , dropped it down to 3 lbs

love my 7mm08 .

I have been thinking the same thing. I went thar shooting in April on the west coast of new Zealand. my cuzin shot a 12inch bull thar with his 270 wsm and the bullet didn't come out the other side. I have a browning x-boltt 7mm08 an I'm feeling a bit inadequate. I've just started hand loading and I'm trying out 154 sst but might give 150 sierras a go next I live in Australia and only have kangaroos to try them on. I get home in April each year so I hope by then I will have a grate load sorted. I would never go back to factory ammo.

150 Barnes TTSX is my go to for whitetail. Good for distance out to 350 at 2650 fps, but would not trust it much farther for sure quick kills. I have had good luck pushing them with H380.