7mm08 16.5 inch barrel

rtv900

A while ago I had the thought of making a pack gun. I just wanted something for canoeing, weekend hiking, ATVing and things like that. I wanted something with just over a 16 inch barrel and less than 30 inches long. That way it would be legal for hunting as a rifle and compact for whatever it is used for. I like my Thompson Center so I was going to have it made out of a T/C barrel. I thought I dropped off a 308 barrel to my gunsmith but I dropped off a 7mm08. Oops!! I got a good deal on a 7mm08 a ways back but didnt use it. So now I have this wonderful short compact rifle in 7mm08. I have not spent anytime looking into the 7mm08. What can I expect from a 7mm08. By that I mean what can I expect from factory ammo out of this length barrel. I dont think I will load this cal so I will stick with factory ammo. Do you think I can get some good range out of this cal.? Can I get 250-300 yards? Do you thing I can get some good groups with it?

Just an FYI I mounted a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36 on it with QD's. I kept the factory sights. The rear sight stayed in place and the front sight was put back on after the barrel was cut.

Thanks for your help. I always appreciate it.

I would like to buy your T C 7mm 08 Barrel .

I have an Rem 700 CDL 7mm 08 22 in Barrel . I use it for Just about every thing you listed . an it works Great .

It ways about 5.1/2 Lbs .

I would look at ab used Rifle to .

Redbone

WEll jumping up a caliber I, (my grandson) have the Ruger Compact which has the 16.5" barrel in .308. It shoots great. I have not worked up any handloads for the 150gr bullets as I picked up a good supply of a lot of Remington 150 CL's a while back and have been happy with the 1.5" groups it gets with them.

As to taking game at range, well mine has dropped a few pretty big hogs out past 300yds as well as a few up close and personal. The grandson and I picked this one off the back hill side at our family farm a year or so back just over 400yds,
340737409LIMYbf_ph.jpg

He wouldn't set any weight records but was pushing the 300# mark pretty hard. He required a finishing shot but that was due to the shoulder plate absorbing most of the impact. The bullet did however penetrate to just under the hide on the offside. You got to figure that if it will take out a decent hog it will work pretty well on other game.

Your not going to get any blazing velocities with it, but using a decent 140gr bullet you will be in good shape out to as far as 300yds on light to medium game easily if you do your part and with the right bullet and conditions 200yds on something bigger wouldn't be out of the question. The grandson has pretty much laid claim to the Ruger and has shot some decent groups with it and some reduced loads. He is now shooting the Barnes 130gr TSX which he used to take his second boar hog this past Nov. and with a 125gr BT he got his first yote at just over 150 yds,
CodyYote1.jpg

Good luck with yours, I know we have put this one through the wringer. For the most part just about anytime we head out to the woods it gets taken. It is a pleasure to shoot and quick and light weight for up close shooting should you jump something up from its bed.

RTV900

Look under Specialty Handguns in this website. There
are some good examples of short barreled 7/08s and
there performance.

Great round in a short barrel
J E CUSTOM

You can expect 2500 to 2700 FPS, depending upon which bullet weight you shoot, out of the 16.5 " barrel.

Accuracy should be about the same as the longer barrel was. Since you do not plan to handload for it, you will be at the mecry of whether the barrel likes the factory load or not. In other words if you had worked up a good load with handloads for the long barrel, you should be able to work up a handload for the short barrel with the same accuracy, but it most likely would not be the exact same load.

I think some factory load should still be able to meet your needs though. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the replies and the help. The more I read about this cal. the more I think handloading is something I should do. Like I said 7mm-08 is not something I have really looked but the more I read the more I think I could really have fun with this cal. So I guess I will have to play around. I found out a friend of mine loads 7mm-08 already so we can work some loads up and let them fly. I will post my results. Always fun to try something new.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.