7mm wsm-- vs-- 7mm saum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by remcraz, Mar 22, 2010.

1. remcraz

remcraz Well-Known Member

Hi
    I would like some info. on which caliber 7mm Wsm OR THE 7MM SAUM do you think would be the best deer and bear caliber and why. I dont shoot much long distance but I do have some access to do some long distance shooting
    Thanks Ted

2. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Id say WSM
    1. ALOT more brass available
    2. 100+fps faster
    3.higher case capasity and longer csae.
    I see by your ''handle'' your a Rem fan. but Rem's SAUM didnt catch on near as well as the WSM line. I think the WSM beats the SAUM all the way in performance. Thier RUM's sure did make a statement tho!

3. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

I doubt any deer or bear is going to tell the difference when shot. :)

However, to try and at least contribute a little info here I'll say this.

1) The WSM will be a little faster with everything else being equal.

2) The SAUM case is .100 shorter than the WSM thus a little better suited to a short action, although I still run out of mag room with the 162 gr Amax, it's about .035 to long when seated .007 off the lands.

3) The SAUM has a longer neck than the WSM which some feel contributes to a more inherently accurate cartridge. Couldn't prove it by me, cuz I don't shoot "that" well.:rolleyes:

4) The WSM does have the edge in brass, but with a little sorting Remington brass will get the job done.

I went with the Saum in a short action with a 27" barrel and it will run with the WSM in 24" barrel. If I were to do it again though I'd go with the WSM in a long action and never have to worry about OAL again.

Chris

4. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

I chose the WSM for all the reasons that the winmag guys said above.

I'm using Norma 270wsm for my 7mmWSM in a Savage long action.

5. JARHEAD1371

JARHEAD1371 Well-Known Member

I went with the 7mmSAUM for my custom build last summer. The difference between the WSM and SAUM is minimal. One reason I like the SAUM because lots of people shoot the WSM and not many shoot the SAUM. On a good day my rifle shoots 1.5" groups at 600 yds. The WSM is a little faster but the deer will never know the difference.