7MM-Rem-Mag-vs-7MM-WSM

I-think-that-you-need-to-consider-ammo-availability-first-and-the-7-m-m-Rem-Magnum- is available- in- most- general- stores- around- the- world- right- next- to- their- 30-06- ammo. Not-so-sure-that-is-true-of-all-them-other-calibres. Good-luck-on-your-quest-.

Hey-guys;-some-are-saying-the-7mm-WSM-out-does-the-7mm-Rem-Mag;-and-others-are-saying-the-7mm-Rem-Mag-will-out-do-the-7mm-WSM.-The-reserch-I've-done-shows-the-7mm-Rem-Mag-shoots-all-bullets-a-little-faster.-Which-is-the-truth?-To-me;-it-looks-like-they-are-very-very-similar-when-it-comes-to-velocity.-I've-heard-the-WSM's-may-give-some-pressure-problems?-Anyway;-I-am-trying-to-decide-which-one-I-will-use-for-my-new-project.-I-will-be-using-a-30"-Lawton-1-10-twist-barrel.-Any-suggestions-would-be-great.-I-will-be-using-the-120-to-140-grn-Nosler-Ballistic-Tip-bullets-for-the-most-part.-They-have-a-really-good-BC-for-poly-tiped-bullets.-The-140grn-BT-has-a-.485-BC-and-the-150-grn-BT-has-a-.493-BC.

Personally, I would choose the 7WSM but if you went with the 7RemMag that would be fine. I think the other issue here is bullet choice. Why shoot such a lightweight bullet? With either one of these magnums, you can shoot the 150, 168, 175 and 180 grain bullets - and fast too. The heavy bullets have better BCs than the 120/140 and retain more energy at long range. To stabilize these heavy bullets you will need to consider and 8 or 9 twist.

Dont forget if its a custom rifle 7mm saum actually uses less powder then the 7mm wsm while still being just as effective.

Any of you fellers check the date on the OP?:D "Wildcat" doesn't post on this site anymore:).

IF I recall correctly, wildcat was pushing bullets out of his 300WSM Varminter @ ~42,000 fps! Think he was using blasting caps for primers under a hefty load of black powder... :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts