7mm WSM? Hmmm!

Fotis

What do you guys think?

Currently I have a WIN 70 Super Grade 264 Win Mag, SAKO 75 300 RUM, and a 416 WBY Mag Classicmark as my big game rifles.
My buddy is offering this Browning A-bolt (like new) with all reloading accessories and bases rings etc. for a song! The only niche that I can think it would fill is a lightweight short (relatively) mountain gun. Ballistically the space is filled. The only reason I was thinking about it is because of the handiness/lightness as oppossed to a 26" barrel 9 lbs 264 Win Mag.

Also can you push a 160 Accubond at 3000 pfs from this cartridge?

welll.....

ok.. I have been locked away doing serious thinking...

mostly about a more "huntable" type LR rifle....

all mine are heavy Tactical tack drivers and they work great for me... but I'm was/am looking for a more traditional type "hunting" style rifle but still providing a solid foundation for the LR shots....

I am going with the traditional ( first) sniper stock.. the MCM HTG and after a long debate with others and then running it by Chris... I am doing the 7mmWSM.... with the 175 gr SMK and the 160 gr Accubond out there this little puppy should be good on Deer sized game to the magic 1K mark... not saying I'd take that shot unless conditions are perfect but this combo should be able to get the job done...

I was pretty set on the 284 win.. but Chris pursuaded me to go 7mmWSM... I woulda won but have you ever seen the size of this guy.... holy huge batman!!

I will say this .. last year I/we took an individual on his first speedgoat hunt.... he was shooting a Browning 7WSM in a very lightweight configuation... holy kick like a raped ape...!!! Definitly do a break on that Browning....

I have some good data if ya are needing some additional influence.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ric, what kind of weight are you trying for on that 7? Barrel length? Contour?
And what type of glass are you going to use?

POP,

ck your e-mail....

gonna be hunting speed goats south of Casper this year ( if the tags get drawn....)

ssandberg

Here's the initial specs... soon to be confirmed by Chris...

Rem SS SA 700
MCM HTG
HS detach mag box..
Badger 20 moa base
Brougton 5R canted land 9 twist
24" #6 or #7.1 more than likely #6
badger break removable with thread cap...

gonna be about 8-10 lbs...light compared to my others...

Right now I have a 3.5-15 NXS for it....

I am considering a Nikon Tactical though....

Nice.

I am still pondering on configuration for my 7 WSM.

Do you know what COL the HS detach mag box allows?
What capacities does HS offer for the WSMs?
Is that 10# with scope?

Thanks for helping me think these weighty issues.

My buddy offered to sell it to me for $400 for the gun, dies, brass bases rings with all original box and papers....

I hope you like that 7 WSM. I just picked up the new 5 and 1/2 pound A-Bolt "Mountain TI" titanium. I'm sending it off to get a muzzle brake put in before I even attempt to break it in.

To answer the question posed earlier re: whether the 7wsm will shoot 160 accubonds at 3000 FPS- the answer is yes. Easily. Federal lists the 160 accubond at I believe, 3120 FPS with a 24 inch test barrel. This round really shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.