7mm VLD What do you think

BLASERMAN

I have only been on here for afew months ,Learned alot .
I always here people talk about VLD bullets,Just found out what they were. Went to the web site and found out who and what they were.I have an STW and it has a 1-9.5 twist I was told that it should shoot heaver bullets better than light ones. I like the 168 gr VLD , is this a good bullet to hunt with. I saw the BC is very high .690 ,should fly well.where
can I find loads for this bullet. My gun only has a 26" barrel. What kind of speed can I expect.

Blas,

Your twist will work fine with this bullet. I feel this bullet will work well on game up to deer size critters but would limit it to this size game. not a terribly stout jacket on these pills. There is enough shear bullet weight to get the job done on deer size game though.

I would avoid shoulder knuckle shots at close range, well any range really, its much easier to punch the lungs anyway.

Starting loads for any conventional jacketed 168 gr bullet will work well. Sierra will probably be the easiest place to get data from. Use the same starting loads for the 168 gr Sierra Matchking and work up from there.

I would say on average you should be in the 3100 fps range with this bullet in your 26" barrel. Maybe a bit more but I like 3100 fps with this bullet weight in the STW.

Another bullet you may want to try is the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT from Wildcat Bullets. This would be better for hunting and at least as high of a BC.

Drop Richard Graves an e-mail at [email protected]

Tell him what you have, what you want to do with it and he will tell you what bullet he recommends.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.