What do you think ?

Sportshooter5

AF914C2F-2C20-463B-BF98-2E1628D75C6D.jpeg

Is this a quality hand lapped barrel……this is a new McGowen barrel that was shipped to me.

Watching this one.

Did they do the chambering work too? I would talk to them and show them this picture.\

Just looked and they seem to have a good warranty IF they did the chambering work:

"McGowen Precision Barrels wants you to be happy with the purchase of your rifle barrel and stands behind its products. It is our objective to leave every customer satisfied with his or her purchase. McGowen Precision Barrels receives very few inquiries concerning the warranty of our barrels.

What does your warranty cover:

• Your barrel is warranted against any defects in material or manufacturing."

I particularly don't like the mashed portion of the lands. There are lots of marks left by the reamer that cut the bore which shouldn't show if it was truly lapped.

And what is the cut out area in the groove area at bottom of picture? Makes me think the reamer was held rigidly in tailstock and was not true to centerline of bore.

Would love to see all of the interior of this barrel. Wonder if there are other anomalies?

IMO this barrel should be replaced.

As an anecdote I find that there are many gunsmiths that don't own a borescope. I remember one gunsmith that told me he never knows if a barrel he installed would shoot or not.....

Last edited:
Watching this one.

Did they do the chambering work too? I would talk to them and show them this picture.\

Just looked and they seem to have a good warranty IF they did the chambering work:

"McGowen Precision Barrels wants you to be happy with the purchase of your rifle barrel and stands behind its products. It is our objective to leave every customer satisfied with his or her purchase. McGowen Precision Barrels receives very few inquiries concerning the warranty of our barrels.

What does your warranty cover:

• Your barrel is warranted against any defects in material or manufacturing."

I particularly don't like the mashed portion of the lands. There are lots of marks left by the reamer that cut the bore which shouldn't show if it was truly lapped.

And what is the cut out area in the groove area at bottom of picture? Makes me think the reamer was held rigidly in tailstock and was not true to centerline of bore.

Would love to see all of the interior of this barrel. Wonder if there are other anomalies?

IMO this barrel should be replaced.

As an anecdote I find that there are many gunsmiths that don't own a borescope. I remember one gunsmith that told me he never knows if a barrel he installed would shoot or not.....
The largest gun dealer in all of eastern Canada has a gunsmith that doesn't own or use a borescope. I was having an issue with a Remington 700 in 6mm CM. Was scratching brass and some pills too. Anyway he said. It fires and everything thing look good with the flashlight. I quickly got a refund and won't do business with them again. No matter their inventory. I'll gladly sell my used burnt out barrel guns though. I'll sell them as new.

This is one reason I don't trust 'gunsmiths' to finish barrels. I want gun machinists for this(with this specialty).
I only want barrel makers to provide lapped barrel blanks in contour.
I want stock finishers for my stocks. Action makers for my actions. Die makers for my dies. Reamer makers for my reamers.
Gun builders to design & build guns overall.
When I need a repair, if minor, I go to a local gunsmith.

McGowen needs to farm out appropriately, before it cost them.

Would have assumed McGowen had some semblance of a quality control to inspect a $$$ barrel prior to shipping. Perhaps we could start a Go-Fund-Me to buy McGowen a borescope.

Given that they're a barrel maker, that's likely their only focus.
The finishing of their barrels is up to someone else. It's just not their thing.

I wouldn't want a barrel maker finishing it for me, because you run the risk of this scenario.
I want them focused on doing only what they do right. What put em on the map