7mm STW Reloading Thread

Hey guys, just wanted to pass along a little tid bit of info. For those of you that may have a 7 RUM, the full length resizer for the RUM can be made to do a perfect neck sizer for the STW. But , you MUST back it off about .030, or you will contact, or partially push back the shoulder. I tried it a while back, and found an even better way, using a seven mag die, backed WAAAYYY of, but the 7 ultra die will do the same, with NO body contact. Again, just be sure to back it off a little, or better yet, smoke the neck and shoulder, and run it down to the bottom of the neck. 7STW out!:)
I mentioned that one in the 7stw thread about a year ago:D:D:D It works well but with some of my brass the neck tension is a bit low after you run it through the 7rum die. ymmv.

How's it going lately 7stw ??? we haven't bantered about the stw's much since I got mine pretty well figured out....

I mentioned that one in the 7stw thread about a year ago:D:D:D It works well but with some of my brass the neck tension is a bit low after you run it through the 7rum die. ymmv.

How's it going lately 7stw ??? we haven't bantered about the stw's much since I got mine pretty well figured out....

Lefty, I seem to remember that the root of your rifles problem was in the bedding, if my memory serves me correctly. And then you put in pillars. ( I think ). I shot one of mine last Saturday, with a friend whom was working with his muzzle loader. I fired a few of the rounds that I had from hunting season. One was the 82.0-rl25-145 LRX @ 3.688. First group was .371, three shot @ 100 yards. I also have some 154 Hornady Spire points. That load is 81.0-rl25-154 @ 3.686. Both loads are lit with 215 GM primers. The interesting thing about the first load, is that it is using A Square brass. I believe, but could be wrong, that that brass is made for A Square by Norma. I bought three boxes from the guy that I bought my Sako 75 STW from, which is the same guy I bought my Sharpshooter from as well. They were loaded with 160 GK bullets. I shot some of them, and pulled bullets on the other ones. To date, this brass seems to last longer then any other. So, my personal quest is to aquire some Norma, 300-375 HH, or 300 Weatherby brass, all being Norma, and fire form it to STW. We've had this talk before.
My new custom 280 is shooting beyond my expectations. I also just picked up a R700 VSSF, in .308. It where's a Nikon Monarch 5-20 with shade and turrets. Also picked up another 700p in 300 Win mag. That thing thinks it is a 22-250, as far as accuracy goes. Again, I want to get some Norma brass for that one as well.
I reallylike that set up you have that graphs out the pressure spikes that you posted awhile back. Only if more people were to realize what happens when the trigger is pulled. That thing is the cats meow.
Take care!

Lefty, I seem to remember that the root of your rifles problem was in the bedding, if my memory serves me correctly. And then you put in pillars. ( I think ). I shot one of mine last Saturday, with a friend whom was working with his muzzle loader. I fired a few of the rounds that I had from hunting season. One was the 82.0-rl25-145 LRX @ 3.688. First group was .371, three shot @ 100 yards. I also have some 154 Hornady Spire points. That load is 81.0-rl25-154 @ 3.686. Both loads are lit with 215 GM primers. The interesting thing about the first load, is that it is using A Square brass. I believe, but could be wrong, that that brass is made for A Square by Norma. I bought three boxes from the guy that I bought my Sako 75 STW from, which is the same guy I bought my Sharpshooter from as well. They were loaded with 160 GK bullets. I shot some of them, and pulled bullets on the other ones. To date, this brass seems to last longer then any other. So, my personal quest is to aquire some Norma, 300-375 HH, or 300 Weatherby brass, all being Norma, and fire form it to STW. We've had this talk before.
My new custom 280 is shooting beyond my expectations. I also just picked up a R700 VSSF, in .308. It where's a Nikon Monarch 5-20 with shade and turrets. Also picked up another 700p in 300 Win mag. That thing thinks it is a 22-250, as far as accuracy goes. Again, I want to get some Norma brass for that one as well.
I reallylike that set up you have that graphs out the pressure spikes that you posted awhile back. Only if more people were to realize what happens when the trigger is pulled. That thing is the cats meow.
Take care!

I'd like to get a gauge on a couple of rifles I have now as I'm running non- book loads quite often lately. The lack of reloading data was originally why I put the gauge on. I've spoken with my brother in law and he thinks we'd have to buy another system as the computer interfaces and such are different than they were a few years ago. I'm not really sure I really need to drop a lot of $$ on something we pretty much figured out years ago though.

The pillars are in on my rifle and the lug and barrel channel are epoxied; I may shorten up the epoxy in the barrel channel for a partial float but I'm not sure. She's holding sub moa now; I'm not sure I want to waste barrel life with small tweaks. I found out she's also a 10" twist (not a 9" ish) so that's another reason it isn't liking the heavier bullets as well. I was chasing a couple of issues at once I guess.

It's good to hear your rifles are doing well. The 280 is a hell of a round and you will like it a lot in the field. My brother has had a 280 for years.

I'm eying some norma 416 rem brass at my lgs but I don't want to get into a situation where I need to turn necks or ream. I'm not set up for that. I guess I should just shoot up my rem stuff and win stuff first. I've got some of the a-square brass in 375 but they have 300 tsx pills wedged in their necks.:D

I've got to get some range time in; tried the other day only to find my range closed due to fire danger. I'll have to cross the river and shoot at the nicer range I guess.

I'd like to get a gauge on a couple of rifles I have now as I'm running non- book loads quite often lately. The lack of reloading data was originally why I put the gauge on. I've spoken with my brother in law and he thinks we'd have to buy another system as the computer interfaces and such are different than they were a few years ago. I'm not really sure I really need to drop a lot of $$ on something we pretty much figured out years ago though.

The pillars are in on my rifle and the lug and barrel channel are epoxied; I may shorten up the epoxy in the barrel channel for a partial float but I'm not sure. She's holding sub moa now; I'm not sure I want to waste barrel life with small tweaks. I found out she's also a 10" twist (not a 9" ish) so that's another reason it isn't liking the heavier bullets as well. I was chasing a couple of issues at once I guess.

It's good to hear your rifles are doing well. The 280 is a hell of a round and you will like it a lot in the field. My brother has had a 280 for years.

I'm eying some norma 416 rem brass at my lgs but I don't want to get into a situation where I need to turn necks or ream. I'm not set up for that. I guess I should just shoot up my rem stuff and win stuff first. I've got some of the a-square brass in 375 but they have 300 tsx pills wedged in their necks.:D

I've got to get some range time in; tried the other day only to find my range closed due to fire danger. I'll have to cross the river and shoot at the nicer range I guess.

Lefty, the 280 I built actually has a 26.5 in barrel. The #4 Brux I used was inteded to be a 27 in finish length, and we didn't have the heart to cut it off. I think the velocity is going to knocking on a 7mag velocity. ( or close anyway ).

I semi hit the jackpot today...My buddy at the outdoors store called and held 3 lbs of Varget for me. They only got in 10. Figured maybe I could grab 2 more when I got there to have 5, but they were long gone. So I just got my 3. But they did have some 7828 SSC in, so I snagged 1lb of it to try out.

Anyone got any good recipes for 7828 SSC and the 168 or 180 VLD's in the STW or 7 RemMag?

Nah, I'd use that first pound to find the new load that's waiting to be discovered. Then I'd order 8lbs. I have always liked its consistent accuracy.

Yeah, but around here, idiots are hoarding powder just to hoard it, so people like me who are ritualistic shooters can't ever find what we need to keep loading to keep shooting. I'd hate for my gun to love it, then not be able to find anymore for 2 months. LOL

It took me 3 months to get more Varget, which was a huge relief when I got that call this afternoon. That means I can keep shooting my .308 more than I have been, which will be nice to finally get more trigger time behind it.

Yeah, sort of....Around here the powder and reloading component scare is still going on. You can buy guns, ammo, hi-cap mags, etc...Just can't find powder and projectiles. I got tons of primers stored up, and did a powder and primer inventory sheet last night. I hope this crap ends soon, I sure would love to be able to go to my local GS and pickup a box of Bergers or a lb of this or that whenever I need it, instead of having to hoard it all and buy 5 lbs of powder at a time. The ole wallet handle that shock to go with my other bills. LOL

I semi hit the jackpot today...My buddy at the outdoors store called and held 3 lbs of Varget for me. They only got in 10. Figured maybe I could grab 2 more when I got there to have 5, but they were long gone. So I just got my 3. But they did have some 7828 SSC in, so I snagged 1lb of it to try out.

Anyone got any good recipes for 7828 SSC and the 168 or 180 VLD's in the STW or 7 RemMag?
I've got a pressure graph on the old thread with I 7828 and 140 sierra fb pills from my old sendero 7stw...:D It shot very well (accurate and uniform) but beat up the brass a bit; I found out in that pipe the book top loads were a bit hot pressure wise.

I haven't been here for a while. Got my re- barreled STW back a few days ago and after break started load work up today. The rifle is a 700 Rem with the action trued and squared with a 26" Lija, with a 1-9 inch twist. The stock is an HS precision, and scoped with a 3.5 X 10 X 40 Leupy with a BDC turret. I have both 160 and 175 grain bullets, and lots of H-1000. Today using the Hornady 162 HPBT match with 79 and 80 grains loaded out to 3.760 the two groups were somewhat disappointing. One at an inch and the other 1.5 or so. I am shooting 120 yards. I reloaded at 10 less and loaded three at 81, and 3 at 82 and will try again weather permitting. I am hoping for much better groups with that barrel.