7mm STW Reloading Thread

Lle

Im waiting on some powder to arrive for this bullet. I was going try Us869. I wanna be sure the twist recommendations weren't a road block.
When they say 8" twist minimum, they want 8" or faster twist... Say 7.5 or 7" twist in this case. Most 1 in 9 barrels will be marginal if they are asking for the 8" twist, especially at lower altitude. Both bullet length AND weight are variables here. My ar shoots some 75-77 grain pills well at 9" twist, but some would be needing an 8" twist, especially the poly tipped ones.

When they say 8" twist minimum, they want 8" or faster twist... Say 7.5 or 7" twist in this case. Most 1 in 9 barrels will be marginal if they are asking for the 8" twist, especially at lower altitude. Both bullet length AND weight are variables here. My ar shoots some 75-77 grain pills well at 9" twist, but some would be needing an 8" twist, especially the poly tipped ones.

The box says 8" twist or faster. I didnt see this when i bought them and now im wondering if its safe to load these at all. My barrel is 9" .

The box says 8" twist or faster. I didnt see this when i bought them and now im wondering if its safe to load these at all. My barrel is 9" .

Your 9" twist barrel probably won't stabilize them. What will happen is you will see the bullet holes in the paper targets won't be nice small round holes. They will start leaving "Key hole" slots. That's if you can get them to hit the target at all. Sometimes an unstabilized bullet will fly anywhere, but on target.

Your 9" twist barrel probably won't stabilize them. What will happen is you will see the bullet holes in the paper targets won't be nice small round holes. They will start leaving "Key hole" slots. That's if you can get them to hit the target at all. Sometimes an unstabilized bullet will fly anywhere, but on target.

It makes me curious as to why they make a bullet for a caliber that typically has a 9 twist and require a faster twist. Im still learning and i may sound silly. But I'll ask first instead of being in the obituaries.

I'm not in the market for stw brass at present. I just looked at what I've got, and I've got 372 rounds loaded and over 100 casings ready to stuff. All are 2x fired of less. Good luck to those of you that need the stuff at present as only nosler really seems to be available lately.

Hope you like us 869 as much as i do although i had a lot of people when i started using it tell me i was crazy that it was a 50 bmg powder and that it would burn my barrel out in about 200 rnds then the guy that they said ha chart and burn rate sheets showed us that i had a goobld choice and my barrel would las longer. Than with faster powder just like my gun smith old me my gun smih thinks im shooting 162 gn bullets out of my gun at 3500 bought a hroy and tried it sa t bu was to windy and i hickened out didnt want to ruin it befoe i could use it bu it does shoot 1/2 in groups at 300 yads with my son shootig it imat 1 1/2at 91.0 grn powderboth 162 sst and 160 acubond

Hope you like us 869 as much as i do although i had a lot of people when i started using it tell me i was crazy that it was a 50 bmg powder and that it would burn my barrel out in about 200 rnds then the guy that they said ha chart and burn rate sheets showed us that i had a goobld choice and my barrel would las longer. Than with faster powder just like my gun smith old me my gun smih thinks im shooting 162 gn bullets out of my gun at 3500 bought a hroy and tried it sa t bu was to windy and i hickened out didnt want to ruin it befoe i could use it bu it does shoot 1/2 in groups at 300 yads with my son shootig it imat 1 1/2at 91.0 grn powderboth 162 sst and 160 acubond
the 50 cal surp powder is a good choice for heavies in the 7stw. I've shot a good bit of it. 86 grains of 5010 or 872/8700 is a normal top end for 175 grain bullets.

Im resorting to buying once fired. Gosh its sad.

With the magnum's and an stw, the faster speeds reduces the need for lower twist. That's what a custom bullet maker told me anyway. 1-9 in the stw is all you'll need.