7mm STW Reloading Thread

I've got a custom 7mm that I've only been shooting factory ammo out of and I've been debating if I want to get rid of it for a 300 of some sorts. It shoots well with the factory 160's (1.3" at 300 yds), but with the factory Nosler custom 140's I struggle to keep them sub MOA at 100. I will be reloading in the future, but that could be a few years out. I'm thinking it might be better for me to buy something I can get factory ammo for at this time.

Before I lose my mind and do this, what are some realistic speeds you can get out of 140's and 160's in the STW? I remember seeing some ludicrous numbers (which led me to getting an STW in the first place), but the vast majority of what I've read as far as hand-loads go shows pretty pedestrian numbers. Do the doubletap 160 accubonds achieve their advertised speeds? Is it possible to get 3300+ with handloaded 160's? 3400+ with 140's?

Kind of a weirdly arranged post, sorry about that.
What twist are you running in your barrel? That's going to be your biggest limiting factor when it comes to getting the best performance out of quality bullets.

I've got a custom 7mm that I've only been shooting factory ammo out of and I've been debating if I want to get rid of it for a 300 of some sorts. It shoots well with the factory 160's (1.3" at 300 yds), but with the factory Nosler custom 140's I struggle to keep them sub MOA at 100. I will be reloading in the future, but that could be a few years out. I'm thinking it might be better for me to buy something I can get factory ammo for at this time.

Before I lose my mind and do this, what are some realistic speeds you can get out of 140's and 160's in the STW? I remember seeing some ludicrous numbers (which led me to getting an STW in the first place), but the vast majority of what I've read as far as hand-loads go shows pretty pedestrian numbers. Do the doubletap 160 accubonds achieve their advertised speeds? Is it possible to get 3300+ with handloaded 160's? 3400+ with 140's?

Kind of a weirdly arranged post, sorry about that.
Nosler is still producing 160gr Accubond and 175gr ABLR loads for it. I am still seeing it for sale a couple of places and their MV's are very realistic if you have a 26" or longer tube.

I for one would like to see chrono #'s and pressure traces for some of these "fish" tales... I'd bet the wheat would separate from the chaff a bit better then... At least no one is calling them "hot Tamales"...

Guys, in a 26" bbl you can get about 3600 fps from a 120, 3400-3450 fps from a 140, 3300-3350 fps from a 150, 3200-3250 fps from a 160, 3150-3200 fps from a 168, and 3100 fps from a 175... anything more and you are over pressure. Those #'s are even optimistic in many barrels. The 7stw will not show over pressure signs until you get to a bit over 75 kpsi so you can easily run a bit high pressure wise and you will simply beat up your brass and action more.
This is +/- what I get out my 27" bbl with no visible pressure signs. I have hotrodded it more than a few times, just to see what a visible MAX was, I DON'T RECOMMEND THAT SO MUCH.
Will be back to testing mine after some time away from it, soon, and will give H1000 a go with 175 SGK which it likes and 180 VLD hunting.

It's easier to find BIG BOY PANTS powder than H4350 for 6.5CM anyways.

Need Lead free advice

Have a 7mm stw I love tack driver with 140 and 160 ABs but had settled on the 160 at 3230 fps. But reside in communist CA so need to find a lead free option. Being an STW its capable of extended ranges and worried about expansion with teh lead free bullets. I shoot a 140 TTSX to 3120 in my forbes 280 but havent had a chance to kill anything with it. Leaning toward my STW for everything thanks

Re: Need Lead free advice

Have a 7mm stw I love tack driver with 140 and 160 ABs but had settled on the 160 at 3230 fps. But reside in communist CA so need to find a lead free option. Being an STW its capable of extended ranges and worried about expansion with teh lead free bullets. I shoot a 140 TTSX to 3120 in my forbes 280 but havent had a chance to kill anything with it. Leaning toward my STW for everything thanks
I've gotten addicted to the Peregrine Plainsmaster VRG4.

They shoot extremely well in all of my rifles including all three 7mm STW's and absolutely will not blow up or break apart even at ridiculously high velocities.

Exit wounds in all of the hogs and deer have ranged from about one to two fingers in diameter whether shooting 130gr through the .260 Rem, 180's through the .300 Rum and .300wm or 140's and 150's in the 7mm STW.

They have a new bullet coming out they are calling the VLR which is specifically designed for long range which is still in testing and they were nice enough to send me a few boxes. I put a 150 straight through the shoulders of a 400lbs boar a couple of weeks ago at just over a 100yds which dropped him stone dead before he ever hit the ground. Even with an impact velocity over 3200fps and passing through a 2" cartilage shield twice and all that bone I still had a two finger sized exit wound.

I also dropped a coyote at about 475 last week with the same bullet and the same result.

I think they are the best monomental hunting bullet on the market. They are certainly the best I've tried.

Re: Need Lead free advice

I've gotten addicted to the Peregrine Plainsmaster VRG4.

They shoot extremely well in all of my rifles including all three 7mm STW's and absolutely will not blow up or break apart even at ridiculously high velocities.

Exit wounds in all of the hogs and deer have ranged from about one to two fingers in diameter whether shooting 130gr through the .260 Rem, 180's through the .300 Rum and .300wm or 140's and 150's in the 7mm STW.

They have a new bullet coming out they are calling the VLR which is specifically designed for long range which is still in testing and they were nice enough to send me a few boxes. I put a 150 straight through the shoulders of a 400lbs boar a couple of weeks ago at just over a 100yds which dropped him stone dead before he ever hit the ground. Even with an impact velocity over 3200fps and passing through a 2" cartilage shield twice and all that bone I still had a two finger sized exit wound.

I also dropped a coyote at about 475 last week with the same bullet and the same result.

I think they are the best monomental hunting bullet on the market. They are certainly the best I've tried.

Cool thanks will have to take a look..i have a ton of h1000 any advice on seating depth i tend to load as far as mag will allow and work back. in your opinon be good fo extended ranges as well? you recommend the 140 or 150? thnx again

I have h1000 ready to try. Nosler is showing max of 78.0 gr. I'll start a little below that. Actually showing accuracy load at 74.0 gr

Recent Posts