7mm STW Reloading Thread

I have h1000 ready to try. Nosler is showing max of 78.0 gr. I'll start a little below that. Actually showing accuracy load at 74.0 gr

That's obviously post SAMMI. I showed no pressure signed up to 80 but that's in my gun. Def start lower and work up.

Re: Need Lead free advice

Cool thanks will have to take a look..i have a ton of h1000 any advice on seating depth i tend to load as far as mag will allow and work back. in your opinon be good fo extended ranges as well? you recommend the 140 or 150? thnx again
I'm not finding them to be particularly sensitive to seating depth in any of the 3 calibers or six rifles I've shot them in so far. Mostly I just load everything to magazine length. With these I've tried several different lengths without seeing much difference if any in the groups.

The one thing I've done that's had more of an effect than anything I've ever tried is using the Lee Factory Crimp die on them. That has cut some of my groups by over half.

Im running 150gr ABLR with 75gr RL22 and 162gr Amax with 72.8gr of RL22 with excellent results. Its a coyote - medium game assassin. I was told the 150 ABLR would not work well in big cases....WRONG!

Im running 150gr ABLR with 75gr RL22 and 162gr Amax with 72.8gr of RL22 with excellent results. Its a coyote - medium game assassin. I was told the 150 ABLR would not work well in big cases....WRONG!

I shoot the 150gr ABLR with great success, too. Once I figured out seating depth, I found a very accurate load pretty quickly.
81.8gr H1000
3.65" COAL
Nosler Brass
CCI 250 primer
3169 fps, SD 6
Rem 700, 24" stock barrel

It shoots everything from 140gr to 162gr at 0.5 moa or less. Best load is 0.3 moa with the 140gr E-tip. The only thing I can't get it to shoot really well is the 175 ELDX, and it has to be that the 1:9.25 twist rate won't stabilize it

Doug,
mine will not stabilize heavy bullets above 162gr either. same twist as yours but a 26' barrel. 140-162 (Especially AMAX) it loves. I mainly shoot 150gr ABLR, 160 AB and 162gr Amax. I used to run nothing but H1000 until a friend gave me a LB of RL22. Its a bit faster with same overall performance. Im still an H1000 guy but its good to know this is a suitable substitute that's readily available. Mine gun shoots 168gr Sierras decent (MOA) but the 140-162gr its .5 MOA allllll day.

Jim

FYI Not to high jack the current discussion but Alliant powder has a new 2017 Reloaders guide available( the 7mm STW even has a section with bullet ranges from 130gr to 175gr). If you cannot find one available sent me a PM with your name and address and I can send you one if you pay the shipping cost.

Doug,
mine will not stabilize heavy bullets above 162gr either. same twist as yours but a 26' barrel. 140-162 (Especially AMAX) it loves. I mainly shoot 150gr ABLR, 160 AB and 162gr Amax. I used to run nothing but H1000 until a friend gave me a LB of RL22. Its a bit faster with same overall performance. Im still an H1000 guy but its good to know this is a suitable substitute that's readily available. Mine gun shoots 168gr Sierras decent (MOA) but the 140-162gr its .5 MOA allllll day.

Jim

RL22 has some temp stability issues, and H1000 does not. H1000 just performs well in all the bullet weights. I'm trying out RL26 on the 140gr Etip and 162gr ELDX this week to see how it does. It should give me more speed and it's supposed to be very temperature stable. I'll report back with my results.
Also, I'm tweaking a load with the 175gr Partition and H1000. Looks like it may be a shooter. I'll let you know on the results with it, too.

RL22 has some temp stability issues, and H1000 does not. H1000 just performs well in all the bullet weights. I'm trying out RL26 on the 140gr Etip and 162gr ELDX this week to see how it does. It should give me more speed and it's supposed to be very temperature stable. I'll report back with my results.
Also, I'm tweaking a load with the 175gr Partition and H1000. Looks like it may be a shooter. I'll let you know on the results with it, too.
X-2 on the temp stability issues with RL 22 it will sketchy quick in the heat of the summer

So RL23 is supposed to be the same just not temp sensative correct? I'm in VA and haven't had any issues with 22 yet. Just playing with a lb I was given. I'm an H1000 guy.

So RL23 is supposed to be the same just not temp sensative correct? I'm in VA and haven't had any issues with 22 yet. Just playing with a lb I was given. I'm an H1000 guy.

Basically, RL23 is a better and extremely temperature stable powder replacement for RL22. It's a part of Alliants new temperature stable powders.....the others being ARComp and RL16. RL26 doesn't have the same technology as the ones listed above, but it is supposed to be just about as temp stable as they are