7mm STW load help

JOHNSONJC79

Hi everyone! I am not new to the 7 STW, my father and entire family have them. They have shot several loads for many years. I have just purchased a new cooper open country with a 1:9 twist. My 1st choice of bullet is the 162 ELDX and maybe a 2nd of 145 LRX. Can anyone with a similar rifle help give me some starting advice that they were successful with especially if you happen to have a similar Cooper 7mm STW? I am not interested in Bergers and the Nosler ABLR would be a last choice. We have always used Retumbo but it seems that H1000, and RL 25 seem to be popular. I have new Nosler brass, Fed 215m primers. Thanks again to everyone in the group.

I have a cooper M52 Jackson Hunter in 7mm STW. 26" barrel from 2015 ish I think. I started with 180 Berger's in mine which shot well with Retumbo somewhere around 0.5 Moa and 3050 fps. Those bullets just didn't have the on game performance I need since I don't always have the opportunity to wait for a perfect broadside shot. Primary target for me is elk. After that I went to 175 Nosler Partition and Retumbo which shot just as well or better. When I got the rifle I started with a few boxes of Nosler ammo using 160 Accubonds which shot under an inch but not that good. Then tried one box of 175 ABLR factory ammo which shot better probably 0.5-0.7 MOA. So after partitions I loaded both 175 ABLR and 175 ELD-X and neither really wanted to shoot for me with 3 different powders. Next I tried 143 Hammer Hunters with RL 26 and have used that the past two seasons now and going on 3 this year. It shoots pretty much one hole when I do my part and runs 3350 fps which is mild but that is where I had great accuracy. I can push it to almost 3700 fps before pressure kicks in. All loads are in Nosler brass with Fed 215 primers. I highly recommend the nosler brass. I have bought 3 different factory loads of 20 each and also two boxes of new brass at 25 each for 110 total and all 5 boxes are different lots. Out of 110 only 4 fall outside the weight tolerance range of 1.5% weight variation. I think I also tried some 160 Partitions and 162 interlocks which my rifle did not like. In my opinion unless you are only shooting mule deer and whitetails and can wait for a perfect broadside shot the 162 ELD is not the bullet for this rifle. You need a more solid bullet or need to slow it down.

Thanks for the info! I have decided it will be a Barnes 145 LRX, 160 Trophy Bonded Tip, or the new 155 TLR from Federal if they shoot.

I had a box or the barnes 145 LRX to try out when I found the hammer load and never ended up trying them.

H1000 is always a solid performer for every bullet weight in the 7 STW. Retumbo, RL 25 & 26 also do very well. It's kinda funny that no matter which powder and bullet I use (or have tried), the final load ends up being around 80 gr. Some higher, some lower but no more than 5 gr either way
I shoot 4 different bullets in my rifle with sub moa accuracy. Like doverpack12, I use Hammer bullets for hunting. Since my barrel has a 1:8 twist, I can shoot the 177 gr Hunters, as well as the 143 gr Hunters. I use RL26 with both and get just under 3100 fps with the 177gr and a little over 3500 fps with the 143 gr.
I also shoot the 162 & 175 gr ELDX bullets. I use H1000 with the 162 gr and get a little over 3100 fps, and I use Retumbo with the 175gr and get 2974 fps with it.

You guys are getting those 140's screaming!
The Hammers have less pressure so you can push them faster. They are absolutely devastating on game and super accurate. Steve Davis, one of the owners of Hammer Bullets, is very active on this website and very helpful with load advice. Look them up

H1000 is always a solid performer for every bullet weight in the 7 STW. Retumbo, RL 25 & 26 also do very well. It's kinda funny that no matter which powder and bullet I use (or have tried), the final load ends up being around 80 gr. Some higher, some lower but no more than 5 gr either way
I shoot 4 different bullets in my rifle with sub moa accuracy. Like doverpack12, I use Hammer bullets for hunting. Since my barrel has a 1:8 twist, I can shoot the 177 gr Hunters, as well as the 143 gr Hunters. I use RL26 with both and get just under 3100 fps with the 177gr and a little over 3500 fps with the 143 gr.
I also shoot the 162 & 175 gr ELDX bullets. I use H1000 with the 162 gr and get a little over 3100 fps, and I use Retumbo with the 175gr and get 2974 fps with it.

Hey buddy, I just picked up some retumbo and was going to build a load with the 175 eldx but can find any max or min data for that powder and that grain of bullet. Usually I run H1000 with 175gr ELDX but was wanting to try something different. You have any information on that for Retumbo?

Hey buddy, I just picked up some retumbo and was going to build a load with the 175 eldx but can find any max or min data for that powder and that grain of bullet. Usually I run H1000 with 175gr ELDX but was wanting to try something different. You have any information on that for Retumbo?
Why yes, I do have info for you.
75.9 gr Retumbo, 2974 fps, 3.700" COAL, Nosler brass, CCI 250 primer. It's a .400-ish moa (can't remember the exact number but I know it's under .500 moa) Verified this load out to 1060 yards when I took a long range shooting class this summer.

Why yes, I do have info for you.
75.9 gr Retumbo, 2974 fps, 3.700" COAL, Nosler brass, CCI 250 primer. It's a .400-ish moa (can't remember the exact number but I know it's under .500 moa) Verified this load out to 1060 yards when I took a long range shooting class this summer.

Awesome, Thank You. I can only get 3.40 COAL out of my magazine so I just will likely try that. This is very helpful!

Awesome, Thank You. I can only get 3.40 COAL out of my magazine so I just will likely try that. This is very helpful!
You're welcome. That load isn't close to pressure, either.
I used that load on a NM antelope hunt at the end of August. It destroyed the speed goat. Folded like a sack of potatoes

Hi everyone! I am not new to the 7 STW, my father and entire family have them. They have shot several loads for many years. I have just purchased a new cooper open country with a 1:9 twist. My 1st choice of bullet is the 162 ELDX and maybe a 2nd of 145 LRX. Can anyone with a similar rifle help give me some starting advice that they were successful with especially if you happen to have a similar Cooper 7mm STW? I am not interested in Bergers and the Nosler ABLR would be a last choice. We have always used Retumbo but it seems that H1000, and RL 25 seem to be popular. I have new Nosler brass, Fed 215m primers. Thanks again to everyone in the group.
H1000, RL26, and RL 33.

The monolithics love to run fast and will give you more velocity than conventional bullets run withthe same charge especially if they are "drive band" bullets that are relived somewhat like a cannelure or multiple cannelures to help reduce copper fouling.

I've had some really outstanding results with the LRX's in .375 ruger, .260 Rem, 6.5LRM and 7mm STW.

Not my favorite monolithic but a close second to the Peregrine VLR's.

Thanks for the info! I have decided it will be a Barnes 145 LRX, 160 Trophy Bonded Tip, or the new 155 TLR from Federal if they shoot.
I'd be curious to see a report of your results with the TLR's. It's an interesting bullet for sure.

Years ago when I was way too busy to slow down and load for my STW I ran quite a bit of the Federal Premium STW ammo with the TBT and was always happy with the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.