7mm STW Hornady vs Nosler Cases

RomeoJim

Hello All,
I'm new to this forum and to reloading for 7mm STW and have a question about Hornady versus Nosler cases for this cartridge. I have used Hornady, Norma, Lapua and Nosler and even Graf & Sons cases for my other rifle calibers. Hornady cases being more reasonably priced and working just fine in multiple other rifles, I purchased more of them than I did Nosler. I did read somewhere that the Nosler cases are heavier. In working up my first long range load for this 7mm STW I have encountered a strange difference in the appearance of the fired cases, even in the start up loads. The Hornady brass all have a bright ring just above the belt, while the Nosler brass don't have that ring. Am I to assume a significantly shorter case life for the Hornady cases since even with neck sizing only the case length increased by between .006 and .007 more than the Nosler cases. Any one have any experience with this situation regarding the &mm STW?

Thanks

IMG_1093.jpeg

While both great cartridges, two different beasts IMO. I think the STW really shines once you get into the heavies. The Ackley does really well with 140-168gr pills. For true long range hunting, I would opt for the STW with a fast twist for the 195 Berger.

Reach down inside the case with something pointed and see if you can feel a crack in the case. The pointed end on a small round file works good.

I run a 7MM STW improved and have used Remington and Nosler brass with good luck. Seeing as how it has all been shot from the same rifle I would assume that the Hornady may be thinner at the belt and expanding more. I doubt as though you will see great life out of either brand in that cartridge. But I do believe I would go with the Nosler because that will probably end up separating at that ring and possibly cause issues for you. It is not a super cheap cartridge to shoot anyways, so it is worth a few extra dollars for the Nosler.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will check the Hornady cases for cracks when I get back home tonight. Working up loads using both brands to see if there's a difference in accuracy, and so far there is none (Most accurate load so far = Federal Magnum Match primers, Barnes 145 grain LRX over 76.3 grains IMR 7828SSC) I'm ordering more Nosler cases for this rifle and will likely settle on that brand after the next outing or 2. May contact Hornady for their opinion on the case appearance

Oddly enough I did exactly what you were thinking about trying! Last summer I worked up a load using Hornady, & Nosler brass with 165 gr Sierra game changers & found in my rifle I got the same results all the way out to 500 yards? I know that's rare, and your post prompted me to take a look at both brands of my brass! I found the exact same ring on my brass also, the Hornady was much more obvious but it had been loaded for the 3rd time & the Nosler only twice. When I drag my thumb nail across the shiney area I can feel a small bump, obviously more so on the Hornady, as its been fired more, but a small bump even on the Nosler? The 2 on left is Hornady, 2 on right are Nosler. I`m Shooting a Cooper rifle, just curious what you are shooting?
100_7023.JPG

I run a 7MM STW improved and have used Remington and Nosler brass with good luck. Seeing as how it has all been shot from the same rifle I would assume that the Hornady may be thinner at the belt and expanding more. I doubt as though you will see great life out of either brand in that cartridge. But I do believe I would go with the Nosler because that will probably end up separating at that ring and possibly cause issues for you. It is not a super cheap cartridge to shoot anyways, so it is worth a few extra dollars for the Nosler.
There are pro's and cons to this! I too reload the 7 STW and have also found the Nosler brass to be a little thicker, but I'm anal retentive and sort my brass many more steps I.e. weight, volumes of grain and times reloaded. I have found in the past two years Nosler brass must have changed QC procedures as the volume of grains water has very large spread on there new brass, however Hornady brass has tightened up! So, do I want to use thinner brass that is more consistent and reload it less or brass that is less consistent yet thicker and longer lasting? I also use custom manufactured brass but four times the price!

Tell us a little more about your gun, custom, Factory, barrel twist, etc. What were your two case lengths (base to mid shoulder) lengths before firing and after...

My first STW had a 1/10 twist and loved the Barnes 145gr LRX pushed with Re 25, if I remember right just shy of 3,450 fps... (It now has a Proof 26" CF Sendario 1/8 on it for 195 gr Bergers)
I mostly shoot Nosler, RP, or Win in my STW's, equal loads will show more pressure in Nosler cases sooner. IMO

52CF01BB-AD48-4A25-8678-8C39BF88CAB7.jpeg
Tell us a little more about your gun, custom, Factory, barrel twist, etc. What were your two case lengths (base to mid shoulder) lengths before firing and after...

My first STW had a 1/10 twist and loved the Barnes 145gr LRX pushed with Re 25, if I remember right just shy of 3,450 fps... (It now has a Proof 26" CF Sendario 1/8 on it for 195 gr Bergers)
I mostly shoot Nosler, RP, or Win in my STW's, equal loads will show more pressure in Nosler cases sooner. IMO

An original Winchester model 70 Laredo LRH now has a Bartlein heavy Palma 28" barrel, Wyatt extended mag conversion, accurized and BP, bedded both pillar and glass. Custom stock, Vortex glass. Mainly shoot Nosler 168 gr Accubond Long Range at 3,352 fps. Or Berger 195 gr EOL at 3,190 fps. Load both with Retumbo seems to work best for me above 10,000 ft alt and temp changes from 50 f to -15 f. Punched a heart shot in this little goat at 1,132 yds head on came out it's butt!

Looks more like what I would call an "oversize chamber" that the Hornady brass shows first. My experience is that the magnum chambers ahead of the belt are often larger than the belt by a considerable margin. Technically belted case headspace is set by SAAMI as the belt, with what I would say is generous allowance forward of that. My Browning 338 has minimal expansion ahead of the belt, my brothers 7mm Magnum has more, but much less than my very old Ruger 7mm Mag that after 3 firings the belt could never touch the chamber recess the case had swelled so much.

Oddly enough I did exactly what you were thinking about trying! Last summer I worked up a load using Hornady, & Nosler brass with 165 gr Sierra game changers & found in my rifle I got the same results all the way out to 500 yards? I know that's rare, and your post prompted me to take a look at both brands of my brass! I found the exact same ring on my brass also, the Hornady was much more obvious but it had been loaded for the 3rd time & the Nosler only twice. When I drag my thumb nail across the shiney area I can feel a small bump, obviously more so on the Hornady, as its been fired more, but a small bump even on the Nosler? The 2 on left is Hornady, 2 on right are Nosler. I`m Shooting a Cooper rifle, just curious what you are shooting? View attachment 132836
Hi Cinchy Very interesting that you had similar visible signs on your brass. I'm shooting a gently used Blaser Model 93

Oddly enough I did exactly what you were thinking about trying! Last summer I worked up a load using Hornady, & Nosler brass with 165 gr Sierra game changers & found in my rifle I got the same results all the way out to 500 yards? I know that's rare, and your post prompted me to take a look at both brands of my brass! I found the exact same ring on my brass also, the Hornady was much more obvious but it had been loaded for the 3rd time & the Nosler only twice. When I drag my thumb nail across the shiney area I can feel a small bump, obviously more so on the Hornady, as its been fired more, but a small bump even on the Nosler? The 2 on left is Hornady, 2 on right are Nosler. I`m Shooting a Cooper rifle, just curious what you are shooting? View attachment 132836

Hi Cinchy
Sorry for the delay in my reply but for some reason I'm having trouble getting my replies to posts. The Hornady cases end up looking the same way even with the lighter start-up loads. Wondering if the chamber is a little wider than SAAMI specs in this particular rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.