Hornady vs nosler brass

YELLOW LAB

I use remington brass for 300 win mag. i want to change but cant make mind
up to which brass to go to. whats your thoughts tks

go for the nosler brass!!!! i am using the nosler brass in my 7mm-08 and have 6 reloads on them without annealing and no split necks and i fl size every time and there is no sign of case head seperation.

IMO you will find better out of the box consistency with the Nosler brass. I weight sort all of my brass after trimming to length. I usually end up with at least four piles with the Hornady brass and two with the Nosler. Not a big deal, though not ideal. FWIW the Hornady tends to run a few grains heavier than Nosler brass, so there is a volume difference due to thickness. The Nosler brass comes "pre-trimmed and chammfered" so I think that the largest source of the difference lies in factory machining. Once prepared and sorted they are both fine brass, it just tends to take more "preparing" to get the Hornady to where you want it to be. That being said, the price of each is reflective of the level of "factory preparation" that each has. Choose what your budget of time or money most readily supports and go from there based on what your rifle shoots best with. YMMV

I have used Winchester, Remington, Nosler and Hornady brass for load work with my Nosler TGR M48 in 7mm08. Hornady give great accuracy as does Nosler which I like both these better than Winchester or Remington brass. Both Hornady and Nosler brass are lasting for a long time. I found Nosler no more consistent in weighing them than the lots of Hornady brass I am using.

Here is a three shot group with Hornady brass using a 160gr Speer SBT in my 7mm08, with W760, 210 Fed primer

7mm08140grAccubond_zps04b8706e.jpg

Here is a three shot group using the same load but with the only exception being Nosler brass.
7mm08noslerbrass_zpsa0989ee8.jpg

If you got the money, go for the Nosler or Lapua.

But there is nothing wrong with hornady brass at all. I use Hornady brass for all my .357 Mags and .44 Mag loads. I also have a ton of old Hornady .308 Match brass that I use for load development instead of using loadings on my good Lapua, and saving that for when my loads get where I want them, then loading those up.

Just some info about brass concentricity/ thickness variance around the case. Using my NECO Concentricity gauge I measured 50 .308 cases of Federal GM, Lapua, Lake City 79 Match, Nosler and Winchester. The following post indicates the extreme variance and standard variance in brass thickness uniformity. The Gem dial indicator can only measure well to .0005".
Nosler E=.0015", S=.001"
Winchester - E=.0035", S=.002"
Lapua E=.0045", S=.0035"
Federal E=.006", S=.004"
LC E=.007", S=.0045"

I highly recommend that everyone with the means to check brass do so, there is a lot of hype on the internet. Of course my results only reflect data determined from my 50 cases (each brand) and may not be what you find with your brass.
I just recently checked my Nosler 338 Win Mag brass and all were within .6 grain of the average weight and all were within .0015" in brass thickness uniformity around the case. The Nosler brass does appear to be very fine brass, how long it lasts depends on how it is used/abused on the range and reloading bench.

Nosler Brass lets me go way high on loads and velocities without getting sticky bolt lift. Seems like Nosler likes my rifle better for some reason.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.