7mm RUM?

zx9rCO

While recently at the local sporting good store buying some rounds for my somewhat tired Win. 70 .270, I noticed in the rack a 7mm rum sendaro sf. My model 70 has been a great and accurate rifle for a long time, restocked, and misc. other things, by my dad who is a fairly accomplished smith. We both recently joined a club here that has a 1000 yd range which is really intriguing. Pops says I should pick up a Win. 70 super grade in .300 wm (he's a Winchester guy though to his boots) but I see a lot written about the sendaro here and elsewhere. The store only has the one and it is on sale for $650. Is this a good alternate to the .300. wm, I am a little taken back at the loads and pressure the 7mm takes. Comments?

The 7mm RUM is a great round. If you want the king of factory production rifles and ammo, in 7mm, this one takes the throne.

The sendero is also a great rifle. They are very accurate out of the box. With a little trigger tuning, there can be a dream to shoot.

The only reason I would NOT go with the 7mm RUM is the barrel life expectancy of that cartridge is less than 800 rounds. The 300 WM is around 1500 rounds. So I guess it would depend on how much you wanted to shoot it.

BTW, welcome aboard!
smile.gif

[ 06-19-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]

Thx Michael

So shoot 800 rounds get used to it and go buy a better barrel anyway?? The stock that comes on it is pretty quality for this price point right?

Mark

If you are looking at punching paper out to 1000 yards there are smaller calibers (less recoil) that will get the job done. If you
want one of the two magnums you mentioned, you are more likely to find target ammo for the 300win.unless you handload. The sendero 300 win is a fine shooter and the stock is a HS.

I've had a SF Sendero in 7 RUM for about a year now. Chris Matthews installed an OPS Inc. brake on it and I added a Rifle Basix trigger and a Farrell 20 MOA base and never looked back. One of my favorate rifles without a doubt.
db

Excelent advice thank you every one- I think I'm goint to go for it. We do reload some but not sure the 7mm Ultra will fit in our relaoder. More stuff to buy, dies at least...

What about scopes and rings. Any experience on the Leo Comps? 35x45? will the tall Leo rings solves sighting problems with this setup? Does any one make a silver rig (rings and scope) you would recomend over this set-up?

Thanks again

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.