7MM RUM recoil??

Pat S.

How does the recoil on the 7MM Ultra Mag. compare to say a .30-06' or a 300 Win Mag?

Thanks, Pat S.

Pat S.

The 7mm RUM will generate much more recoil energy then a 30-06 in same weight rifles, there will be a big difference.

IT will also generate more then a 300 Win Mag but not by as large a margin. I would say that a 7mm RUM with a 160 gr bullet will feel very similar to a 300 Win Mag with a 200 gr pill in equal weight rifles.

There will also be a large increase in muzzle blast with the much larger RUM case.

I love the RUM rounds though, in a 26" barrel, they are basically a poor mans Huge Wby as they will get within 100 fps of the moster Wby rounds in this barrel length and in cost effective rifles.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

My 7mm ultra seems to kick much less than my 300 win mag did. Some of this could be stock design as the ultra wears a H&S while the win mag was a synthetic Winchestor factory stock.

I have a Sendero SF in 7 RUM. It's recoil is very fast and sharp. I have been shooting a Sendero SF in 338 RUM. It's recoil is more, but not as quick. Both of these rifles compaired to a BDL in '06 is very harsh. I have shot a stock 300 WSM SS Syn with factory ammo that would make your eyes water, worse than an old 300 Wby with the same weight bullets. So I guess all are different, but when you get into the "MAG" class, expect to get hit. I have found brakes, like OPS INC, help me fire more accurately.
Good Shooting,
db

Recoil, you wanna talk about recoil. I'll tell ya about recoil.

Sighted in a 7 RUM for a fella. Glad for the chance to try one. REM 700 BDL, Factory 140 gr bullets. Chrono graphed them at 3620 fps. Recoil was not bad at all. From my bench it seemed like a good stiff 165 gr 06 or a decent 300 Whby load. I'd say fairly pleasant. Plus it shot really well.

Now I have the same rifle in 338 Win Mag. Now that's recoil! (from the bench). Otherwise tolerable setting and offhand.

Roy,
I'm glad that you said something about the 7mm being easy on recoil. I agree with you 110%. Then again people are very different when it comes to recoil tolerence. I just purchased a mod 700 sendero sf in 7mm rum. I know that it has a heavy barrel, but this firearm is a joy to shoot. It is also very accurate and seriously flat shooting. I took a very nice caribou at 209 yards (not very far) and the 140 grn nosler went all of the way through and flattened the caribou. Going in one shoulder and exited about six inches behind the other.
Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to purchase one.

Fiftydriver,

Your comments:
"The 7mm RUM will generate much more recoil energy then a 30-06 in same weight rifles, there will be a big difference.

IT will also generate more then a 300 Win Mag but not by as large a margin. I would say that a 7mm RUM with a 160 gr bullet will feel very similar to a 300 Win Mag with a 200 gr pill in equal weight rifles."
are right on target as to what I experienced when I shot my 700 LSS 7mm RUM for the first time. My memory has faded a little but the recoil was significanty sharper then my 300 Win Mag 700 KS gun with 180 bullets and reminded me more of a Ruger 77 .338 Mag with 225gr. handloads that I once owned. I may look into a Decelerator or Simms pad for it but don't have any desire to install a muzzle break. I may even down load it a little and try a 160 gr. bullet in it.

Thanks to all for your input.

Pat S.

If you guys will tell me the assumed characteristics of two different rifles and their loads I will run them on my Excel based recoil calculater.

I will need rifle weight, bullet weight, velocity, powder weight.

Thanks for the offer Len. I probably won't get around to doing anything with the gun until next spring or summer though. I may take you up on the offer then.

Pat S.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.