Rem 700 sendero 7mm RUM

500grains

A good friend of mine has picked up a new but on sale Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm RUM. He is not a long range shooter [YET] but hopes to use this rifle for longer shots than he would have dared take in the past, probably 500 to 800 yards. The scope he has is a Zeiss conquest 4.5-14 with a Z-800 reticle.

pf_rapidz800_112_115.jpg

Can this combo get the job done? What say ye?

Of course. But, sounds like you or him needs an education first. No offense intended.

The rifle is a good choice. The caliber a real long range one. The scope is good if it has the target knobs (they can be added if it doesn't). The reticle is handy. Don't expect it to match your ballistics.

Last edited:
Of course. But, sounds like you or him needs an education first.

Probably both. Is there a good book to read/study to help in coming up to speed? I am fully up to speed on rifles/cartridges/reloading/basic ballistics. But I am not up to speed on the factors that affect very long range bullet placement, or the various optics available for this task.

I actually teach a class, if you're interested. I'm in Santaquin. The class runs eight hours, tuition is $125. The course is geared to give you a solid foundation. I believe a class like this can leapfrog you through years of learning.

I cover necessary equipment: rifle, riflescope, field rests, support optics, weather station, pocket pc.

ammo: factory ammo, loading tips, bc, trajectories

long range science: moa, iphy, mil, bdc, drop compensation, windage, sloped shots, reticle
ranging

reading the wind

using ballistics programs

Shooting includes: 100 yard zero and chronographing. From this we create drop charts and shoot 500-1000 yards to validate trajectories, work on shooter spotter communication, and have a lot of fun. You will be pounding the 1k gong before you go home.

I offer flexible scheduling.

I actually didn't mention the education to lead into my class. This website is probably the best resource available to learn long range shooting. While I have several books on shooting, none of them concisely teaches you to shoot long. I'll have to research writing one.

Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge offers a fantastic how to video. This is the best step by step, instructional video I have seen. His video covers the same content as my class. Just much more quickly and without the benefit of personal instruction or shooting work. Shawn also teaches a highly regarded class in Idaho.

Anyway, welcome! You can find the answer to any long range question you might have here.

Santaquin? Yes!

Thank you for the invitation - I would very much like to sign up for the class. Please advise when/where and how I can send funds to reserve a spot. I will tell my buddy about too to see if he is ready to take the next step.

Best regards,

Dan

email dmccart [at] xmission [dot] com

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.