7mm RUM vs .300 RUM

zoeper

I would like to get a new rifle for taking on Baboon and medium sized game out to 800 yds. I kind of fancy getting a 7mm RUM, but now i'm wondering if 300RUM or even 338 Lapua magnum would be more versatile.
If i am hoping to get more than one baboon at a time i would have to quiet the rifle down quite a bit so a suppressor would be a must. how does this affect acuracy at long range when compared to muzzle brakes?
Your 0.02 welcome.
P

At 800 yards there is more noise from the bullet than there ever will be from the muzzle. Gun fire is a very faint sound at 800 yards. My opinion is that you scrap the suppressor idea.

2nd, on paper and in the real world, the 7 RUM and 300 RUM are impressive. They are also MURDER on barrels. It doesnt seem like a baboon merits a RUM even at the distances youre talking. Save some coin on reloading supplies and replacment barrels and look for a more user friendly caliber for the application.

Just my .02

I would agree with Mike. Go with a smaller caliber that is easy on the barrel. Like a 308. Tried and true. It will get the job done out to 800 yards+ and the barrel will last for thousands of rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.