7mm STW vs. 300 RUM

Wich of these rounds would be best for long range hunting and target.

I am looking at the Savage 116 fsak/with muzzle break/accu-trigger. Any other suggestions in this rifle would be welcome.

I own both in custom rifles with longer barrels. They are both great. If it was me, and I was picking one, I would go with the 300 RUM. More power, and better bullet selection for the handloader.

Thanks, I normally shoot 50 BMG out to 2000m and 308 out to 1000m, but I need a cartridge inbetween, sounds like the 300 RUM is the one.

The 300 RUM is my pick due to more possibilities, there are so many different bullet styles and weights available in 30cal that you can do just about anything with it.

Also, I think that in the future the 7mm STW will probably fall by the wayside and the 7mm RUM will take its place.

300 all the way.

Heavier bullets with higher BCs and faster.
wink.gif

Can I jump on the 300 bandwagon too??? With everyone I know that got one they are all very accurate.

Demar where is valley stream???

7mm STW with:

156 Cauterucio - 615 BC
176 Cauterucio - 760 BC

I'm not saying the STW is better than the 300 RUM...but these bullets get good velocities with the STW and high BC's.

Plus, they are great on game!

I shoot the 156 with my 9 twist 26" kreiger. 7 twist is better for the 176.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.