7mm RUM vs .300 RUM

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by zoeper, Jun 23, 2009.

1. zoeper

zoeper Well-Known Member

I would like to get a new rifle for taking on Baboon and medium sized game out to 800 yds. I kind of fancy getting a 7mm RUM, but now i'm wondering if 300RUM or even 338 Lapua magnum would be more versatile.
    If i am hoping to get more than one baboon at a time i would have to quiet the rifle down quite a bit so a suppressor would be a must. how does this affect acuracy at long range when compared to muzzle brakes?
    Your 0.02 welcome.
    P

2. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

At 800 yards there is more noise from the bullet than there ever will be from the muzzle. Gun fire is a very faint sound at 800 yards. My opinion is that you scrap the suppressor idea.

2nd, on paper and in the real world, the 7 RUM and 300 RUM are impressive. They are also MURDER on barrels. It doesnt seem like a baboon merits a RUM even at the distances youre talking. Save some coin on reloading supplies and replacment barrels and look for a more user friendly caliber for the application.

Just my .02

3. RH300UM

RH300UM Well-Known Member

I would agree with Mike. Go with a smaller caliber that is easy on the barrel. Like a 308. Tried and true. It will get the job done out to 800 yards+ and the barrel will last for thousands of rounds.