7mm Remington Mag for all around hunting??

I didn't say equal velocity... I said equal-for-weight velocity. In other words, the 7mmRM is a bit faster with a 180, than the .300WM with a 215. But, just like was mentioned earlier, the 215 is slower at the gate, but it retains more energy. At some point, the 7mm 180 will slow down to the same speed as the 215, but at some point the 215 will retain its speed and energy longer than the 180. Where those points on the axis fall for both, I don't know. But I would be curious to see a true chart for comparison to see how equal they really are. Just guessing, but I bet it would be a lot closer than most people would believe.
So your saying they are not equal?

There is nothing in any of my manuals suggesting the a 180 out of a 7mag is faster by any significance or at all than a 215 out of a 300 Win Mag.

MudRunner, I offered the most recent real world comparison I had, the 7mm and 338 hunt. But you know that I have spent my time in the field testing and hunting with the 7mm. Most recently with the 7mm-300 win. Now there you have a true comparison. I have shot the 300 win and 7-300 side by side at targets in wind, at rocks for practice. And hunted elk deer and antelope with both for more than a few years now. So here are a few questions to ponder. Q: why did I even do this? A: I was looking for the best mouse trap for my midsized magnum. Q: Why do I still use a 300 win mag for the midsized magnum? A: All the testing has proven to me it serves my needs better is all aspects.

Yes, the 195 will be a great new option to test. But Now the G1 BC has been tested to be closer to .75 than to .8 that we were originally hoping for.

Will the 195 offer more terminal performance than a 7mm 180 gr? Yes I believe so.
Will the 195 have a leg up over the 180 in BC? Yes , a good leg up.
Will the 195 have a BC to equal the largest 30 cal bullets offered today? Yes and this is great!
Will the 195 kill as well on larger game like moose as a 230 from a 30 cal? Nope, I just don't personally think so.

A game changer , yes to some degree, but only in the game played between a 7mm 168 or 180. Not against the larger calibers when going down range where the larger caliber look their best.

To drive a 195 to the speeds needed to overcome the benefits of a big cased 300 or 338 for long range hunting of the bigger game animals, most could not live with the short barrel life that would come with the 7. But will I take another look at the 7mm 195 in a 7-300 for my midrange magnum? Yes Sir, I sure will.

That's as honest answer as I have, and it is what I believe to be truth.

Jeff

So your saying they are not equal?

Yes, and no. It's not a simple cut-and-dried answer. I am saying they are on an equal playing field, but are not equal in design and function. In some ways yes, in some ways no. In BC, yes, in velocity, no, in KE, no. But at some point on the grid their paths cross...Where that point is, is what has me curious. Does it happen at 500? 600? 750? 875? 1000? Beyond?

There is nothing in any of my manuals suggesting the a 180 out of a 7mag is faster by any significance or at all than a 215 out of a 300 Win Mag.

I used to think book data was really important, but the more years go by, the more I realize they are nothing more than a very basic guide to get you started, and not to be taken too literally, especially since every rifle, every brand of brass, and every powder, primer, and bullet lot is different, and won't always be the exact same as what they used to test loads for their manual's data.

Yes, and no. It's not a simple cut-and-dried answer. I am saying they are on an equal playing field, but are not equal in design and function. In some ways yes, in some ways no. In BC, yes, in velocity, no, in KE, no. But at some point on the grid their paths cross...Where that point is, is what has me curious. Does it happen at 500? 600? 750? 875? 1000? Beyond?

I used to think book data was really important, but the more years go by, the more I realize they are nothing more than a very basic guide to get you started, and not to be taken too literally, especially since every rifle, every brand of brass, and every powder, primer, and bullet lot is different, and won't always be the exact same as what they used to test loads for their manual's data.
This is true about the manuals, but if you're saying that the 7mag can be loaded faster than the manual suggests, this can be said for the Win Mag as well.
You said they were equal so many times I can't count on numerous threads. They are not, not even close. No matter if you reload or you don't. You don't have to convince me with your theories, I already know they are not equal...

This is true about the manuals, but if you're saying that the 7mag can be loaded faster than the manual suggests, this can be said for the Win Mag as well.
You said they were equal so many times I can't count on numerous threads. They are not, not even close. No matter if you reload or you don't. You don't have to convince me with your theories, I already know they are not equal...

I'm pretty sure I've already stated that this was merely brainstorming out loud and a friendly debate... Never did I say it was the God's honest truth.

I'm tired of derailing this guy's thread.

My sincerest apologies Dalebow, even though my first post in here was a legitimate answer to your question.

With my back against the wall, I give in. My final suggestion...Even though you asked about the 7mm...Just keep your .300 WinMag.

No worries Mud, I can use a 7mm and a 300 win barrel on my Blaser R8 and try them both out. I think all things given that a bullet in the vitals will kill an animal, and that both a 284 and a 30 cal will do the job.

What are your thoughts on using a 7mm rem mag, shoots .450 with the Nosler 150 grain long range Accubond? I am wanting to simplify and use one gun for antelope thru Elk, and maybe one moose hunt. Wouldn't use it on bears other than a black bear. Would allow me to invest in a great scope and learn the rifle and trajectory in detail. Ive hunted a lot with 300 win mag but thinking I might want a little less recoil.
thanks
7mm Rem is a great all around hunting cartridge if you use quality bullets.

Hit them in the right spot with a good bullet and they are dead.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.