300win mag all around big game bullets

bowkill02

anybody got any suggestions. im considering the 190gr berger for deer and elk providing I can get a good load worked up. any feed back nor suggestions

anybody got any suggestions. im considering the 190gr berger for deer and elk providing I can get a good load worked up. any feed back nor suggestions

I harvested a bull elk last year with 190 Berger VLD at 931 yards ... only because I didn't have 210/215. :D

If you can get them; go with the 210, preferably the 215 if you have the right twist to stabilized it. Jeff (BROZ) has an excellent thread on it; do a custom search ... worth your time and effort.

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

Ed

I was a 30-378 person with a 28 inch barrel and when it came to premium hunting bullets that fit my twist rate the 210 gr. Noslers work. I tried the sierra 200 gr game kings BT's Big doses of Retumbo

AccuBond Long Range Bullet

This is a long thread but has 20 big game kills from the same season with my 300 win and the Berger 215 Hybrid Target. I feel the 215 is the best thing that has happened for the 300 win in years.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Take a look and see if the performance of this bullet on antelope deer and many elk fits your criteria of what you like to see in terminal performance.

Jeff

thanks jeff for that great thread on the bergers. that helps out a lot. by the way what stock is on your rifle I really liked that?

My experience thus far hunting with my 300 WM is with a 180 AB. My dad has been shooting a 200 AB in his 300 rum for years. They are accurate and we've killed animals out to 650 with them. They have never fallen apart and hold good accuracy.

They are generally available too.

It's looking like I'll be taking my 300 win mag out elk hunting this year, loaded with 215 Bergers. The success of the 215 is already well documented in this forum, but just spending the past couple of months practicing with this bullet, to say I am impressed would be an understatement. The accuracy is just phenomenal when you stretch it out.

I can't wait to see how the 215 performs on an elk and a bear in just over a month.

I used a 190 VLD out of my .300 win mag on an elk last year. Shot him about 2 inches behind the front shoulder and he actually ran about 400 yards before going down, I was a little surprised. I read the thread on the 215's and have been trying to get my hands on them, no luck so far. The 190s shoot very well out of my gun, I just wasn't very impressed with their terminal performance. I did recover the bullet and it sort of just broke apart into small pieces after it penetrated the hide...

I used a 190 VLD out of my .300 win mag on an elk last year. Shot him about 2 inches behind the front shoulder and he actually ran about 400 yards before going down, I was a little surprised. I read the thread on the 215's and have been trying to get my hands on them, no luck so far. The 190s shoot very well out of my gun, I just wasn't very impressed with their terminal performance. I did recover the bullet and it sort of just broke apart into small pieces after it penetrated the hide...

Velocity is nice that comes with lighter bullets, sometimes not the best choices. I always opt for heavier offerings with fragmenting style bullets. That said I would doubt you would get the same results if you took the same shot again. All shots are different in one way or another.

Jeff

Third generation shooters has the 215s in stock now. Butch's has the 250 ct boxes ready to ship as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.