7mm rem mag

DDorrell86

Hi so I'm new to this forum. I live in Colorado and plan on entering a draw for an Elk tag this year. I have been shooting for about 11 years now, but hunting big game will be a whole new experience for me (provided I am even drawn).

My question is about the 7mm rem mag. I own a lot of different and unique guns, but the only one I own that I believe would be acceptable for hunting is my 7mm rem mag. Not in particular to elk but I have heard mixed reviews with it. For hunting elk in Colorado, I'm curious of peoples opinions on the 7mm rem mag. I was told by a friend that a 300 win mag would better suit me. Hunting big game for the first time, I don't plan on taking any shots over the 500 yard range. I can hit my target with the 7mm dead center, from 500, every time, but thats never been a live and possibly moving target so I don't feel comfortable shooting at a target while big game hunting at a range over that. The last thing I want to do is wound an animal. My main question is should I invest in a different gun than my 7mm rem mag for hunting Elk at or less than 500 yards, and if I do, is there a particular caliber you would recommend.

Any insight is welcome and appreciated!

Hi so I'm new to this forum. I live in Colorado and plan on entering a draw for an Elk tag this year. I have been shooting for about 11 years now, but hunting big game will be a whole new experience for me (provided I am even drawn).

My question is about the 7mm rem mag. I own a lot of different and unique guns, but the only one I own that I believe would be acceptable for hunting is my 7mm rem mag. Not in particular to elk but I have heard mixed reviews with it. For hunting elk in Colorado, I'm curious of peoples opinions on the 7mm rem mag. I was told by a friend that a 300 win mag would better suit me. Hunting big game for the first time, I don't plan on taking any shots over the 500 yard range. I can hit my target with the 7mm dead center, from 500, every time, but thats never been a live and possibly moving target so I don't feel comfortable shooting at a target while big game hunting at a range over that. The last thing I want to do is wound an animal. My main question is should I invest in a different gun than my 7mm rem mag for hunting Elk at or less than 500 yards, and if I do, is there a particular caliber you would recommend.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

No, need to invest on another gun unless you just want to.

I too prefer my .300 Win Mag (my go to chambering for pronghorn to elk size game) over the 7MM Rem Mag but that's just my personal preference. It's a cake walk for your 7MM Rem Mag at that distance to 1000 yards, esp when loaded accordingly with the new Berger 195s (requires faster twist barrel).

Use the ammo (factory or handloads) with heaviest bullet (168s and 180s are often preferred) that shoots accurate out of your rifle at that range. Shot placement still remains the key factor.

Again, it boils down to personal preference. Happy safe shooting/hunting ... good luck.

Ed

86, between friends and relatives I've seen lots of elk taken with a 7mm Rem. They all load the 168 Berger due to twist rate and with the aforementioned good shot placement usually one shot humane kills. You have one, you shoot it well out to 500. Keep practicing and perhaps small upgrades like trigger, bedding or scope, there's no elk safe from it. Good luck on your draw and potential hunt.

Not that long ago many folks considered the 7mm rem mag to be one of the best elk guns out there. It sounds like you are very proficient with the gun. Shot placement as always is key. I have killed elk with the 7 mag and personally never been in situation where I felt under-gunned with the 7. I do know it can happen, but it never has to me. However, knowing then what I know now, I do give the edge to the .300 win mag., but not enough to justify replacing the 7mag with one.

Like several of the posts above I do prefer my 30 caliber rifles over the 7mm. But that is just me. There is nothing wrong with a 7mm loaded with the correct bullet. I would consider the 168 plus grain bullets with a good bc. If my memory serves me correct nosler does make a 160 grain bullet in the accurbond that would be decent. Good shot placement is the key, but that statement applies to all caliber rifles. Now if you are looking for an excuse to purchase another rifle? I like the idea go for it and have fun.:)

Not that long ago many folks considered the 7mm rem mag to be one of the best elk guns out there. It sounds like you are very proficient with the gun. Shot placement as always is key. I have killed elk with the 7 mag and personally never been in situation where I felt under-gunned with the 7. I do know it can happen, but it never has to me. However, knowing then what I know now, I do give the edge to the .300 win mag., but not enough to justify replacing the 7mag with one.

+1. Well said.

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about using a 7mm REM Mag to go after elk I have a buddy that has taken quite a few elk with a .270WIN 130gr granted he's a DEADLY gun) and his shot of choice is spinal cord, wind pipe, base of the skull and he's usually close in like 400yds or less! Not a shot I would attempt without A LOT more practice but he does it!

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about using a 7mm REM Mag to go after elk I have a buddy that has taken quite a few elk with a .270WIN 130gr granted he's a DEADLY gun) and his shot of choice is spinal cord, wind pipe, base of the skull and he's usually close in like 400yds or less! Not a shot I would attempt without A LOT more practice but he does it!

"Close in like 400 yards at the base of the skull"? With a .270 Win? Sounds like pretty good shooting to me.

At 500 yards and under in a 7 mag the bc of the bullet really does not matter. Point blank range and good weight retention bullet that can handle the high velocity impacts is what is needed. Good shot placement through the boiler room with a high weight retention bullet designed for big game hunting is the order of the day. The 7 mag was designed exactly for what the op is asking about. High velocity laser beam shots under 500 yards.

Obviously I think our Hammer Bullets would be the best, but in the end any good hunting bullet like a Partition or Swift A-Frame would be great too.

The answer to the original question is YES. Your 7mag will be great for hunting anything on the North American continent at 500 yards and in. Go get ready for your 1st hunt. I hope you have great success.

Steve

This buddy I'm referring to is an awesome shot he lights strike anywhere matches at 25yds with a scoped .22mag lever action.

Here in MT that can be quite the challenge ...

windsock_zpswxzaln1c.jpg

Here's a video of a gentle zephyr while antelope hunting last year ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/0g8VvpqdtkQ?t=7[/ame]

:D

windsock_zpswxzaln1c.jpg.html

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.