New 7mm REM mag

Nodeeriniowa

44729.jpeg
Being from Iowa, where up until the last year we could not use any rifle for deer hunting, I never owned any other than a. 22. Recently a couple friends and I booked a rifle elk hunt in Colorado, so I purchased a new, used ruger 77 mark II lh in 7 REM mag. I have mounted it on a new boyds stock and put a 4-16x50 scope on it. What would you recommend for a good factory round for 100-500 yds?

Yep, go get a box each of four or more loads in the 160g to 175g and see which one your rifle likes. How is the trigger on that Ruger? Some were good and some not.

Nodeer, if you don't reload there's a huge selection of factory and huge amount of suggestions you will receive. Good luck with your hunt, that 7mag will kill-em easily.

Welcome & Congrats ,very fine choice , try federal 150 partitions, & federals Fusion in 150 grainers, last but not on Purpose !!!Barnes 150 grain TTSX, Save your brass ,you can trade it sale it ,Or have a friend Reload it !!! Winchester has a new bullet out in Factory also forget name ,enjoy your hunt be safe !,Practice so you can shoot the 7mag like your 22!!! Cheers and the Force be with You !!!

View attachment 143539 Being from Iowa, where up until the last year we could not use any rifle for deer hunting, I never owned any other than a. 22. Recently a couple friends and I booked a rifle elk hunt in Colorado, so I purchased a new, used ruger 77 mark II lh in 7 REM mag. I have mounted it on a new boyds stock and put a 4-16x50 scope on it. What would you recommend for a good factory round for 100-500 yds?
Federal trophy bonded tip or Hornady ELD-X hunter

Years ago I was in the same boat with a new 7RM and not yet started to reload. I went out west for an elk hunt and based on what shot best and bullet selection I went with the Winchester Supreme line loaded with 160 Accubonds.
Dumped a large cow elk on the 3rd day at around 200yds. I now have been reloading for sometime and the 160 Accubonds still have a place in my inventory when loading for most hunting trips.

If you truly hold your shots to under 500 yards you need about 1.5 MOA of theoretical accuracy as an elk has about a 24 inch killed zone. Obviously you want the best accuracy you can get from the rifle, I'm just trying to level set your needs versus your desires. So that being said pick a well built bullet. It doesn't have to be a Barnes TTSX or LRX but those will work nicely, if they shoot ok. If you plan of shooting 500 yards then go and shoot 500 on paper before you head to the elk woods. Bullets that shoot good at 100 yards don't always stay consistent at 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.