7mm Rem Mag vs 6.5 Prc

Yeah, but the 7 mag Ammo you find in Two Dot might shoot like crap in your rifle. So it would do you no good.
Raise your hand if any 7MM BANG out shoots a 6.5PRC CLICK any day of the week......YMMV Personal experience, in an ammo outage, any bang is Heaven sent. :) :) :) Admittedly, unless you live outside Checkerboard, MT, or the lopes have repeatedly over run your position, one probably won't be shopping for ammo in Two Dot, except when having one of those "aw **** life learning" events we humans are prone to encounter occasionally

Not enough popcorn yet so here we go. The 7RM still has the better bullet selection of tougher bullets which a lot of folks prefer for large animals like elk. The recoil difference in same weighted rifles is only a couple pounds. Seriously, has anyone ever felt their rifle go off shooting at an animal? If you are more concerned about the recoil at the time of the shot, good luck. Lastly, you can find 7RM ammo in gas stations if you had to.

Raise your hand if any 7MM BANG out shoots a 6.5PRC CLICK any day of the week......YMMV Personal experience, in an ammo outage, any bang is Heaven sent. :) :) :) Admittedly, unless you live outside Checkerboard, MT, or the lopes have repeatedly over run your position, one probably won't be shopping for ammo in Two Dot, except when having one of those "aw **** life learning" events we humans are prone to encounter occasionally

does your buddy's firing pin assembly coming loose on his "custom" Mauser .270 count as one of those moments? 😂 No Ammo would have helped that day!
I'm gonna have to buy me one of those 7mm Rem Mags one of these days...

Yeah, but the 7 mag Ammo you find in Two Dot might shoot like crap in your rifle. So it would do you no good.
^^ I Agree ^^

I would not make a gun purchase or build plan
based on ammo availability in Two Dot.
I have never been without my custom ammo
That was dialed in for my rifle. If you think it's going to be a problem just create some redundancy in your planning. Put 5 rounds in your backpack, put a box in your truck jockey box, put a box in your gear tote, put a box in your rifle case. Murphy would have to have 4 brothers to mess you up. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
^^ I Agree ^^

That was dialed in for my rifle. If you think it's going to be a problem just create some redundancy in your planning. Put 5 rounds in your backpack, put a box in your truck jockey box, put a box in your gear tote, put a box in your rifle case. Murphy would have to have 4 brothers to mess you up. 🤷‍♂️

This has been my plan. I can forget stuff without Murphy. No international hunting experience but on a destination hunt I have my own ammo in multiple different pieces of luggage.

^^ I Agree ^^

HuntnPack, well noted, you are 100% correct. But, have you actually confirmed the Murphy Family genealogy? His stock 'n' trade is out smarting the smart ones. In a world where one might throw their lead spitter into the window rack of our rusty ole pickup and rattle a mile or so down the loggin' road out behind the barn, the Two Dot Test is admittedly irrelevant. And, I concur, there probably isn't 1% on LRH who have any idea or care where Two Dot is; there's not 0.1% that have or ever will be in Two Dot; and, not 0.0001% will ever shop for ammo in Two Dot. But, then, Two Dot is merely a place holder, a paradigm (that's not two coins a nickle short of a quarter... it's a teaching tale...a concept for consideration.) But, for we mere mortals susceptible to Life's Aw **** moments; that have put a lot of time, effort, heartbeats, dreams, and money into that once a year or lifetime hunt; have experienced pre-hunt destination shipments/airline luggage loss, delay, contents theft...vehicle break ins; have helplessly watched items slither over the edge of a 500ft precipice, a canoe dump in rapids; horses trample thingys; might want multiple calibers for various scenarios, but still have the airline 11lb ammo restrictions; might want to confirm zero at hunting altitude after airline gorillas torture test our gun cases; might have several buddies wanting to shoot our hotsy totsy new lead spitter; et el, et el. "Two Dot" ammo availability just might be a wise pondering. YMMV.

If you want a 6.5 PRS buy one. But, if this is going to be your main hunting rifle the above post makes a lot of sense.
I have been lucky enough to hunt on three continents. Believe me if you get separated from your ammunition for any reason in the bushveld or drop it into the lake while transferring from the float plane to rowboat needed to get you to camp. You will be better off if you're able to borrow or buy 'more' popularity ammo.
Also, In some Countries picky custom officials are also making sure your ammunition is Headstamped what is on the rifle and required paperwork.
True you may never get a chance to go overseas, but I like to be prepared.
For me there is not much $ difference going elk hunting with a outfitters or going for planes game in RSA.
Good Luck

Jerry

That is true, but sometimes you dont always make or have the perfect shot. A lot of times you only get 1 opportunity when elk hunting, and I'll be danged to be limited by the cartridge, whether it be range, angle, or a misplaced shot. That is all. In a perfect world, a 243 would always kill elk, but alas that's not real world elk hunting. I've killed a few with a 2506 on up through 338 EDGE. They all worked, but I had to be limited by range and angle with the 2506. The 7/30/33 cal mags are a lot more forgiving in most areas. I've been around 200 elk killed the last 20 years in our camp on public ground, 95% were with 7/30/33 magnums from 50 to 1125 yards, they just work. I dont like chasing elk down in the deepest darkest hole, I like them to drop where they once stood as it's still a long pack out. I've also been the one to load and set up such said rifles, so I have a fairly good data plot to go from and experience with my own eyes.
I am not sure I believe a larger diameter bullet compensates for poor shot angles or poor marksmanship. I think it has to do with velocity at impact and bullet construction to make sure it gets to the vitals. I won't take a long range (600+ yard) shot on an elk unless i have the perfect angle and have a good set up. Doesn't matter if I am sitting behind my 300 rum or 6.5 prc. I travel all over the country to hunt and spend money on out of state tags - I still have a tremendous amount of respect for the animals I am hunting. I'll eat a tag sandwich before I rush a shot at an elk quartering away at 800 yards. I see guys every year that sling lead with no patience or regard for what they are shooting at. To each their own.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.