7mm rem mag sugestions

16penny

I have a 7mag with 28" 1 in 10 twist barrel will be shooting summer coyote and winter Oryx at about 5000' elevation also Deer and Elk at roughly 8000' I'm looking for long range bullet that will stabilize and take the larger animals thanks for your opinions

The 10" twist is not going to help you get a high bc bullet. It is going make your rifle more of a laser beam to more moderate distances. At the elevations that you are working with our 143g Hammer Hunter will work well and have plenty of integrity to handle big game of any kind on the North American continent.

Steve

I will add to that. I just finished load development yesterday for a customer with a Cooper 7mag. The 143 Hammer Hunter is running at a comfortable 3150fps with 72g IMR7977 and CCI mag primers. Shot a very nice .5 moa group at 100y with the Magspeed attached to the barrel. Will see how the day goes tomorrow, I may get out and shoot the Cooper to some longer ranges.

Steve

As it's said your twist rate limits you.
For long range your going to need a fairly soft projectile to expand at low velocitys Maybe a 139 sst. 154 sst if they stabilise.

At the elevations that you are working with our 143g Hammer Hunter will work well and have plenty of integrity to handle big game of any kind on the North American continent.

You may get a lot of answers to your question about what to use in your 7mm magnum 1-10 twist barrel but none will be better than this one. Go with it!

I've had excellent results as far as accuracy and bullet toughness with Hornady 162 SST in 7RM using a 10 twist 28" barrel. 3000fps with a 162 will get you good expansion out to 1000m at 8000'. At sea level air densities the critical velocity threshold (1800) comes closer to 700-800m so in all of your elevation windows you're good to purt near a kilometer if not the whole thing.

16penny,
At those altitudes try our 7mm 180 VLD Hunting bullet. As TXAoudadKLR stated. Run it on the TWIST RATE CALCULATOR found on the BERGER WEBSITE under the BALLISTICS tab on our home page. Be sure to enter the altitudes. This will help you interpret your result :Berger Bullets Twist Rate Recommendations by Eric Stecker & Bryan Litz | Berger Bullets
Bullet seating depth testing information for our VLD bullets is here :Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD Bullets in Your Rifle | Berger Bullets Blog
If you have any questions please contact us here or at [email protected]
Take care,

local gun shop had 154 sst in stock ill try some of these and have to order some hammer hunters and maybe some vld I was surprised they were stable in the calculator
I have imr 4350 imr 4831 and r25 on hand ill see what it likes then check again once the weather cools down

I've had excellent results as far as accuracy and bullet toughness with Hornady 162 SST in 7RM using a 10 twist 28" barrel. 3000fps with a 162 will get you good expansion out to 1000m at 8000'. At sea level air densities the critical velocity threshold (1800) comes closer to 700-800m so in all of your elevation windows you're good to purt near a kilometer if not the whole thing.

2nd that for the 7mm Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts