7mm Rem Mag reloading starting point

I am looking at starting to reload for my 7mm rem mag, I haven't got any rounds through this gun yet, I'm not sure what it likes or any of that. I am looking for suggestions on a starting place, such as what grain bullets to use. I have some factory Norma ammo I plan to shoot first, then I will reload them. I will use this rifle for hunting only, maybe the occasional targets stretched out just for fun, maybe.. I really like the performance that I have gotten from the Hornady ELD-X, Sierra GameKing and BlitzKing, and also Nosler Partitions in most other calibers I've had, that's mostly all I've reloaded off the top of my head. I would also take some suggestions on what powders that you've had successful loads with as well.

With the components being hard to find right now, any suggestions on what to look at and where to maybe get the components? I have been interested in the Barnes bullets, but I have no experience with them, and I don't know anyone personally with it either.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Have a blessed day.
160-168gr bullets are going to be a safe bet in a factory rifle with 9.25 or 9.5 twist.
168 Berger hybrid, 162 eld-m, 162eld-x or 162 sst would be good choices.

I'll add a little to what @LaHunter said,.

There a couple more options for powders and if you look hard and daily you will find some powder and bullets.

These other options are IMR-7977 and RL23 for the 150gr to 168gr bullets. For the 180gr bullets you can try RL33 and IMR-8133, these have a little more juice for these heavy bullets.

I prefer the 160gr to 180gr bullets for the 7mm Rem Mag. So far my personal favorites are the 162gr SST, and the 168gr and 180gr Berger Hunting VLD's
does anyone have information on we're to start your loads at for 168gr Bergers ,for 7mm rem. mag, any help would be much appreciated.

does anyone have information on we're to start your loads at for 168gr Bergers ,for 7mm rem. mag, any help would be much appreciated.
MTB, welcome to the forum. You need to include specifics, rifle, twist, brass, primer and powder you are loading. Members are happy to provide info. The search feature top right is your friend.

What animals at what distance are you planning to hunt? Also, what twist is your barrel?

The 7mm Mag is incredibly versatile, and with the current component scarcity, knowing the above information would really narrow the range of "what to try" suggestions.
I plan to hunt mostly whitetail and mule deer, maybe elk sometime. This would be a backup gun for my 300 win mag for elk and moose if I go hunt them. I won't shoot more than 500 yards max on large game. I'd be lying if I told you what twist I have, I'll look into it though.

I plan to hunt mostly whitetail and mule deer, maybe elk sometime. This would be a backup gun for my 300 win mag for elk and moose if I go hunt them. I won't shoot more than 500 yards max on large game. I'd be lying if I told you what twist I have, I'll look into it though.

What brand rifle is it? is it a factory barrel? This might help us know what twist you have

My only 7 is a STW. I am running 168gr ABLR, 175gr ABLR and Berger 180gr Hybrid.
As to powders, I really only have access to Hodgdon powder, as it is made here.
I run H1000, RETUMBO and RE25.
Any of the slower powders will work best, only problem being what flavour you can actually get your hands on.
1 pound of powder is going for more than $80 here, ridiculous.

Cheers.

MTB, welcome to the forum. You need to include specifics, rifle, twist, brass, primer and powder you are loading. Members are happy to provide info. The search feature top right is your friend.
thank you dosh for the insight, much appreciated.

LVJ76,IMR 8133, I talked to a rep. for hodgdon they have no data for a 168gr berger, the closest is 170 round nose,is what the rep told me

IMR also has the data for the Hornady 162gr, I've found that with several powders the starting point between the 162gr and the 168gr is 1.0gr of powder apart, meaning you can use the 162gr data and just back it up one 1.0gr and work it up.

IMR also has the data for the Hornady 162gr, I've found that with several powders the starting point between the 162gr and the 168gr is 1.0gr of powder apart, meaning you can use the 162gr data and just back it up one 1.0gr and work it up.
I will try that, thank you much

I have been loading Berger 168 vld hunting bullet on my 7 mm with reloader 19 63.4 grains and getting good groups 1" and less @ 100 yards,great bullet for hunting both my grandson got there elk cow's one at 700 yards the other grandson at 615 yards with the 168 grain Berger vld bullet
Sounds like my load but with 63.4 grains of H4831SC. 0.75 at 100 and 2.7 at 300. What's your max load you've tested with no pressure problems?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.