7mm Rem Mag - Starting Loads

rdd

Hi all,

I just purchased a 7mm Rem Mag (CDL with a 26 inch barrel) and plan to buy components this weekend to start loading. I think I have settled on starting with 168 Berger VLD's but may end up using the 140 VLD's too since my primary use for this rifle will be whitetails and mule deer out to 700 yards max, but most shots will be 400 and closer...

My question is which powder to start with? I am not familiar with any of the "standard" 7mm powders. It seems each caliber has good all-around powders such as IMR 4064 for the 270, H380 for the 22-250, WIN 748 for the 223 and so on.

What powders would be conisdered the standards in the 7mm Rem Mag and are widely availabe? The two that have caught my eye so far are H1000 or H4831sc...

(BTW) I did a search on this and all of the different information just confused me even more.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
From my experience both these powders will work. I have gotten very good results using H1000. I have also used RL-22, IMR-7828, and IMR-4831. H1000 gives good accuracy and velocity in my 24 inch barrel. The heavy bullets seem to do better with the slower powders like H1000.

H 1000 has been my standard for years, but I tryed RL 25 with the 168 and 180 Gr vld's and was amazed at the speed I was able to attain. Accuracy was very good also.:D

H1000 is my go to powder for the 168's. IMR 7828 long cut used to be my favorite, but is more temp and lot variation sensitive in my rifle. Retumbo worked great for shorter range velocity and accuracy, but had a higher ES(30fps) than my H1000 (<8fps). Fed 215's or 215m's was by far the best primers.

Back in the day when I shot a 7MM, a friends dad reloaded for me, he used CCI large rifle magnum primers, 162gr hornady BTHP and 67 gr IMR 4831 and that gun was deadly accurate. The gun was a ruger rifle. Wished I still had that one.
But like everyone will say start low and work up. I know the Beyond belief team seems to love the 7MM

Try nosler 150 gr ballistic tips with imr 7828 and cii 250 primer. great in my ruger 77 mkii and ren 700.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.