7mm Rem Mag loads

coachA

I am looking for some good loads for a 7mm Rem mag. I am new to reloading and I am really looking for a fast but stable load for hunting. I would like to here all opinions about bullets and powder.

I am looking for some good loads for a 7mm Rem mag. I am new to reloading and I am really looking for a fast but stable load for hunting. I would like to here all opinions about bullets and powder.

Are you looking for a heavier bullet or something lighter? How far will you be shooting? Rl-22 works great in my 7mm Mag. Its pretty efficient and gives me great velocity and accuracy. I personally like the 162 out of mine but most people on this sight like the 168 Berger. Imr 4350 isnt a bad powder for the lighter bullets and Imr 7828 works well from what i hear

Berger 180 VLD's pushed by Retumbo is giving me excellent accuracy and just over 3,000 fps. out of a custom 7RM.

Weight isn't a huge issue with me as long as it shoots well. I have some 162 ELD-X that I am going to try first. I plan on trying out the berger bullets too.

I've loaded 168 Berger with H1000 in six rifles. They shot very well in all. Had one that was more accurate with H4831SC. The Berger 180's would be great if your barrel has a fast enough twist. Good luck

Worked up loads for three 7 Rem mags using Retumbo and 168 Berger classic hunter bullets. Loads varied slightly 71-73 gr of powder. Velocities from 24" barrels 3079 to 3121 fps. None of these rifles require any seating depth manipulation to obtain tight groups.

One owner commented that the cow elk he shot was the fastest kill he had ever seen on an elk. He has hunted his whole life and is 68 yrs old.

Another owner shot an antelope at close to 600 yards and was happy with the results.

I use IMR 4350
For 162 ELD -M bullets. Very accurate, good enough velocity.
I light it off with a standard Fed 210 primer.

140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip moly coated 3.34" over all length 70 gr H4350 3400 fps.
I have a half dozen 7mmRM rifles and it shoots great in all of them.

I am a fan of IMR7828 175grn sp, start at 60.0grn mag primer max is 63.0 grn
150 grn sp and ETIPs start 65.0 grn mag primer max is 69.0 grn For hunting I prefere 67.0 grn 7828 150 grn Etip 30 tho the lands 3090 to 3115fps, deadly on white tail and moose

I have had good luck and vel with RL22 in 150, 162 & 175 grn sp but there are a lot more hens teeth around here than any alliant powder

I also use 145 grn btsp's at 69grn IMR7828 and 47.0 grn IMR3031 but that bullet is a little light for my liking and using the IMR3031 is a little too fast for such a large case capicty (but in a pinch it works)

If your trying the 162 ELDX or the 168 VLD I would try retumbo around the 73 grn mark (work up obviously). And H1000 around the 70 grn mark. 3 guns have shot those loads very well for me.

Hi coachA,

If you're hunting deer, just about any bullet will work. You don't have to spend a buck a bullet to kill deer. I've used bargain bullets. Deer died. I've used 160 grain Partitions. Deer died.

Two excellent bullets for deer are 150 grain Sierra GameKing & 150 grain Ballistic Tip. I've used the Nosler Manual load of 63 grains of IMR 4350. Groups are under a half-inch. I've chromo'd this load at better than 3200 FPS.

For elk, I'd recommend going with what was once the .284 caliber industry standard: the 160 grain Partition. It will one-shot kill the largest elk that has ever lived. I use a load that came from loading data circa 1975. It's charged with H-4831. This load is now considered above max load. However, it works well in my rifle with no indicator of pressure. I've charon'd it at better than 3100 FPS. RL-22 is another excellent 7MM Rem Mag powder.

Real Guns - Handload Data - 7mm Remington Magnum

My new 7mmRemMag load after hunting and sighting in to 500 yards in 2016 is 140 gr Nos bal tip moly 3386 fps 66.7 gr IMR-4451 3.34".

The powder has a temp stable and an anti Copper fouling coating. I fired over 50 rounds at that velocity and there is no Copper fouling [unheard of in previous years with H4350]

CoachA,

What are you planning on hunting?

I have a 24" barreled SakoAV 7MM Rem Mag. For 160 grain Partition (will kill everything in North America) I've used 67 grains of H-4831, W-W brass, and a Fed 215 primer for just above 3100 FPS. For 150 grain Ballistic Tips/Sierra GameKings, I used 63 grains of IMR-4350 for slightly better than 3200 FPS. This load will print very, very tiny groups, as in .25" inch tiny.

I did load about 50 175 grain Partitions with, I believe, RL-22 that chrono'd better than 3000 FPS. Recoil must've activated my intellect. For all of North America's big game, I already had the prefect load: 160 grain Partition. I've never used 175 grain Partitions for anything except testing. I did test my 160 grain Partition load on huge elk. It kills 'em dead with one shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.