7mm Rem Mag 175gr Accubond LR Report

Ingwe

I just returned back from Zimbabwe where I used my handloaded 175gr ABLR's for my 7mm Rem Mag. MV is 2,850fps.

I shot 7 Baboons but all of the bullets fully penetrated the animals. All dropped to the shot.

One Zebra was a broadside pass-through, behind the shoulder, both lung, one shot kill, with quarter-sized exit. Ran approx 100 yds. 180 or so yards.

Zebra #2 pictured below was struck slightly quartering on. Bullet broke the shoulder bone, penetrated both lungs, and was recovered under the skin on the far side. Range was 150 yrs and animal dropped after 80 yard run.

Impala#1 was shot at 50 yds broadside behind shoulder crease and exited with nickle sized wound. Fell over dead.

Impala#2 shot at 50 yrds quartering away, bullet entered flank, penetrated and broke far shoulder, and was recovered under skin. Made 50 yds before falling over.

I have to say that I am very happy with the ABLR performance...especially on the second Zebra where the shoulder bone was broken and the bullet still penetrated body cavity and both lungs of an 800lb animal.

In all cases, impact velocity was still pretty high at around 2,800 for Impala and 2,700 ish for Zebra.

Bullets look pretty much like they do in the Nosler ads.

I'm very happy with the performance of these bullets.

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Impala.jpg
    Impala.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 278
I just returned back from Zimbabwe where I used my handloaded 175gr ABLR's for my 7mm Rem Mag. MV is 2,850fps.

I shot 7 Baboons but all of the bullets fully penetrated the animals. All dropped to the shot.

One Zebra was a broadside pass-through, behind the shoulder, both lung, one shot kill, with quarter-sized exit. Ran approx 100 yds. 180 or so yards.

Zebra #2 pictured below was struck slightly quartering on. Bullet broke the shoulder bone, penetrated both lungs, and was recovered under the skin on the far side. Range was 150 yrs and animal dropped after 80 yard run.

Impala#1 was shot at 50 yds broadside behind shoulder crease and exited with nickle sized wound. Fell over dead.

Impala#2 shot at 50 yrds quartering away, bullet entered flank, penetrated and broke far shoulder, and was recovered under skin. Made 50 yds before falling over.

I have to say that I am very happy with the ABLR performance...especially on the second Zebra where the shoulder bone was broken and the bullet still penetrated body cavity and both lungs of an 800lb animal.

In all cases, impact velocity was still pretty high at around 2,800 for Impala and 2,700 ish for Zebra.

Bullets look pretty much like they do in the Nosler ads.

I'm very happy with the performance of these bullets.

I don't put much importance on retained weight;) but I will weigh them ASAP to see what's left from 175gr

I had similar results with 6.5 129grABLR down to 900fps, not as much expansion as yours, but they expanded. At just over 3100fps impact velocity, they looked like flattened coins but the base was intact. I never recovered any of the 142grABLR from my 264WM. Only recovered bullet was from my 6.5x47, impact velocity was around 2300fps and performance was excellent to say the least.
I like them, and the 210gr 30cal.

Cheers.

I had similar results with 6.5 129grABLR down to 900fps, not as much expansion as yours, but they expanded. At just over 3100fps impact velocity, they looked like flattened coins but the base was intact. I never recovered any of the 142grABLR from my 264WM. Only recovered bullet was from my 6.5x47, impact velocity was around 2300fps and performance was excellent to say the least.
I like them, and the 210gr 30cal.

Cheers.

I tell you, I'm really happy with the performance of these Bullets. They seem to be a great combination of expansion and adequate penetration.
The Zebra was 800lbs.

Outstanding BC and bonded as well

Im considering using the 265 .338 cal or the new 300 grain .338 cal when it comes out in a 9 lb .338 Norma Magnum I'm building for long range elk. Good to see the performance, it will wither be them or the Berger 300 grain.

Im considering using the 265 .338 cal or the new 300 grain .338 cal when it comes out in a 9 lb .338 Norma Magnum I'm building for long range elk. Good to see the performance, it will wither be them or the Berger 300 grain.

Not to start a ****-storm with some of the guys here;) but I can't understand why anyone would want to use a non-bonded Bullet on an elk sized animal. I can't imagine having to take a quartering away shot on an elk in which the bullet will have to penetrate 3 feet of elk before it gets to the chest cavity, or break a shoulder first.

I think that some guys are so caught up in the Berger hype that they use them when they shouldn't be

My 2cents anyway

Not to start a -----storm with some of the guys here;) but I can't understand why anyone would want to use a non-bonded Bullet on an elk sized animal. I can't imagine having to take a quartering away shot on an elk in which the bullet will have to penetrate 3 feet of elk before it gets to the chest cavity, or break a shoulder first.

I think that some guys are so caught up in the Berger hype that they use them when they shouldn't be

My 2cents anyway
No hype, I have just used them and they have worked well for me. I inderstand others have used them with results that don't mirror mine, but many people have also used bonded bullets and report very negatively on their use as well, I am considering both options. In my personal experience, and the 40+ animals I have taken or whitnessed taken with them, the bergers have done well, and all exited on everything up to and including bull elk.
And I'm sure you feel the same, but I would not intentionally take a hard quartering shot on any large animal at long range, the purpose I shoot long range is to have the ability to make a precise and calculated shot, so there isn't really a good reason to take a lower percentage shot than necessary, or any hard quartering shot, I'll just wait for the animal to turn, or pass the shot. However, my cousin had a large cow elk turn at the shot at a little over 500 yards, and the bullet ended up entering the point of the shoulder, and after busting the shoulder socket, penetrating the lungs, stomach, and entire hind quarter including the femur bone, ended up under the hide in the opposite rear leg. It was a 180 Berger vld from a 7mm rem mag. That is the only experience with long penetration we have seen with the Bergers. All others have been broadside or only slightly quartering.

With my brush and short range guns, such as my 20" barreled .308 win, I use heavier constructed bullets for these reasons, I may not have to opportunity for the perfect shot, velocity will be higher, and I may have to bust through heavy bone or take a hard quartering shot, and long range performance is not a consideration as 300ish yards is as far as these type guns will get used.

These are just my thoughts, we don't have to agree, and that is perfectly fine!! We are not democrats, we don't have to force eachother to buy into our beliefs ha ha

I shot a fair amount of plains game, and some dangerous game, while in Tanzania in the early seventies. I was using a 7mm Rem Mag and a .375 H&H magnum. With the 7mm bullets available 40 years ago, the 7mm Rem Mag was not as reliable on larger plains game like zebra as what you are describing. I made good lung shots on several zebras that still managed to run for miles. With the .375, I generally dropped zebra where they were and often recovered the bullet under the skin on the far side. The .375 did well on Cape buffalo with 300 grain solids, and I never tried the 7 on them. I thought about it, using pulled German solid round nose bullets, but never did so. A professional hunter I talked to about it thought the German solids would do a fine job from the 7 Rem Mag.

There were no ABLR bullets in the early seventies. I sure wish there had been, although I had a couple boxes of Nosler partitions to reload during my time there.

Great information and perfect timing... I was just talking to my Son about maybe trying them but was unsure if they would perform any better than the ELDx's.
I thought they might fragment more since they are sopose to perform well out to such longer ranges .
Thanks for the info!

No hype, I have just used them and they have worked well for me. I inderstand others have used them with results that don't mirror mine, but many people have also used bonded bullets and report very negatively on their use as well, I am considering both options. In my personal experience, and the 40+ animals I have taken or whitnessed taken with them, the bergers have done well, and all exited on everything up to and including bull elk.
And I'm sure you feel the same, but I would not intentionally take a hard quartering shot on any large animal at long range, the purpose I shoot long range is to have the ability to make a precise and calculated shot, so there isn't really a good reason to take a lower percentage shot than necessary, or any hard quartering shot, I'll just wait for the animal to turn, or pass the shot. However, my cousin had a large cow elk turn at the shot at a little over 500 yards, and the bullet ended up entering the point of the shoulder, and after busting the shoulder socket, penetrating the lungs, stomach, and entire hind quarter including the femur bone, ended up under the hide in the opposite rear leg. It was a 180 Berger vld from a 7mm rem mag. That is the only experience with long penetration we have seen with the Bergers. All others have been broadside or only slightly quartering.

With my brush and short range guns, such as my 20" barreled .308 win, I use heavier constructed bullets for these reasons, I may not have to opportunity for the perfect shot, velocity will be higher, and I may have to bust through heavy bone or take a hard quartering shot, and long range performance is not a consideration as 300ish yards is as far as these type guns will get used.

These are just my thoughts, we don't have to agree, and that is perfectly fine!! We are not democrats, we don't have to force eachother to buy into our beliefs ha ha
Amen to that Brother.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.