7mm Rem Mag 175gr Accubond LR Report

Holy crap I didn't even know you could should those ugly little buggers. I fricken hate monkeys of all species not sure why but they bug me. I guess I need to win the lottery now so I can co blast some.

Deviant, I'm a blue collar guy myself so trust me that it's not as expensive to hunt Africa as you might think it is. You could go to Namibia or South Africa and shoot 5 plainsgame animals and baboons for under $5,000. Then $2,000 for airfare and your set. Much cheaper than a good guided Elk hunt here or a Saskatchewan deer.

When youre ready I have a booking agent that I can put you in touch with

These 2 groups were shot from a factory rem 700 long range in 300 win mag this spring.
The bullets used were 210 grain ablr.
I and others in my area have found them to be finicky in our factory rifles. Both pictures I submitted are 3 shot groups at 100 yards.
No pictures , but my best group at 500 yards has been 2.75.
Hope this helps!!

No hype, I have just used them and they have worked well for me. I inderstand others have used them with results that don't mirror mine, but many people have also used bonded bullets and report very negatively on their use as well, I am considering both options. In my personal experience, and the 40+ animals I have taken or whitnessed taken with them, the bergers have done well, and all exited on everything up to and including bull elk.
And I'm sure you feel the same, but I would not intentionally take a hard quartering shot on any large animal at long range, the purpose I shoot long range is to have the ability to make a precise and calculated shot, so there isn't really a good reason to take a lower percentage shot than necessary, or any hard quartering shot, I'll just wait for the animal to turn, or pass the shot. However, my cousin had a large cow elk turn at the shot at a little over 500 yards, and the bullet ended up entering the point of the shoulder, and after busting the shoulder socket, penetrating the lungs, stomach, and entire hind quarter including the femur bone, ended up under the hide in the opposite rear leg. It was a 180 Berger vld from a 7mm rem mag. That is the only experience with long penetration we have seen with the Bergers. All others have been broadside or only slightly quartering.

With my brush and short range guns, such as my 20" barreled .308 win, I use heavier constructed bullets for these reasons, I may not have to opportunity for the perfect shot, velocity will be higher, and I may have to bust through heavy bone or take a hard quartering shot, and long range performance is not a consideration as 300ish yards is as far as these type guns will get used.

These are just my thoughts, we don't have to agree, and that is perfectly fine!! We are not democrats, we don't have to force eachother to buy into our beliefs ha ha
Have had the exact same performance of your description with both Berger and Accubonds in my 338's and 300 magnums, bullets found under the hide after passing through the entire animal and hitting and breaking the femur bone.
Have had ONE failure with a Berger, it failed to open fully and tumbled in the brisket, made a huge mess and did not reach the vitals, second shot worked as it should have.
The accuracy I get with the ABLR is impressive 1/4-3/8 MoA in most instances.

Cheers.

Holy crap I didn't even know you could should those ugly little buggers. I fricken hate monkeys of all species not sure why but they bug me. I guess I need to win the lottery now so I can co blast some.
I still have nightmares about flying monkeys on Wizard of Oz.... I'm 62. I want to use a shotgun on them with 00 buck.

Not to start a -----storm with some of the guys here;) but I can't understand why anyone would want to use a non-bonded Bullet on an elk sized animal. I can't imagine having to take a quartering away shot on an elk in which the bullet will have to penetrate 3 feet of elk before it gets to the chest cavity, or break a shoulder first.

I think that some guys are so caught up in the Berger hype that they use them when they shouldn't be

My 2cents anyway

I love bergers because my experience has been that they bust through a shoulder bone just fine and haven't had a problem with them reaching the vitals from any angle - quartering to, quartering away etc.

Having said that I am interested in trying the 150 ABLR in my 270 wsm. Glad to see they are performing this well.

I have heard that the ABLRs are pretty finicky about seating depth.
Have any of you experienced this and if so do you have to keep chasing the lands as they get shot more and more?
Thanks all good info.

Deviant, I'm a blue collar guy myself so trust me that it's not as expensive to hunt Africa as you might think it is. You could go to Namibia or South Africa and shoot 5 plainsgame animals and baboons for under $5,000. Then $2,000 for airfare and your set. Much cheaper than a good guided Elk hunt here or a Saskatchewan deer.

When youre ready I have a booking agent that I can put you in touch with
Nice, thanks for the info I will definitely consider that. Right now I'm trying to decide if give $5,000 to Ryan Pierce to build me a 300 Norma Improved or go on a hunting trip this fall.

Nice, thanks for the info I will definitely consider that. Right now I'm trying to decide if give $5,000 to Ryan Pierce to build me a 300 Norma Improved or go on a hunting trip this fall.

That $5,000 rifle is your trip trip africa;)

In all seriousness, we all have our own priorities and in the end it comes down to how bad you really want something.

That $5,000 is your safari but then again in 10 days you only have memories when you could have had a nice rifle;)

That $5,000 rifle is your trip trip africa;)

In all seriousness, we all have our own priorities and in the end it comes down to how bad you really want something.

That $5,000 is your safari but then again in 10 days you only have memories when you could have had a nice rifle;)
Exactly thats why I cant decide. I can open the safe anytime I want and shoot the gun but it would be some good memories if I went on a safari. If I had a friend to go with me I would lean towards Africa.

Exactly thats why I cant decide. I can open the safe anytime I want and shoot the gun but it would be some good memories if I went on a safari. If I had a friend to go with me I would lean towards Africa.

I hear you brother, it's all a matter of how bad you want something. I have only one big game rifle but it's exactly what I need so I use it for everything so I'm good to go with it. I just blow the rest on Africa and I'm happy;)

PS: if you really want to go and nobody will come with you then go it alone. I just came back from 14 days in Zimbabwe. Nobody wanted to come so I went alone. It was better actually because you only have to worry about yourself and what you want to do, without accommodating anyone else.

It's a long lonely flight but I'm a bit on a loner anyway so I didn't mind it at all.

Also a sense of accomplishment of going it alone

I feel the same way. If my cousin wouldn't have wanted to go back over there, I wouldn't be going. He really had to do a lot of talking to convince me to go too. Haha

I feel the same way. If my cousin wouldn't have wanted to go back over there, I wouldn't be going. He really had to do a lot of talking to convince me to go too. Haha

I also have a sense of urgency, 1st because I'm 57 years old now and time is passing, plus I wonder how long we will be able to hunt Africa at the rate things are going with politics, anti's, population growth there, etc

Boy did this go off topic...sorry guys!;)

I've hunted Africa, but not Zebra. When Zebra run 50+ yards after the shot, is that considered good performance? I believe so but wonder, because I was thinking the 7MAG 175 ABLR might make for a great 1 bullet hunting option for deer thru elk, near and far. Would elk generally react similar to Zebra using them? I read when animals run after the shot, adrenaline can spoil the meat flavor. I know every situation is different, but my 338 puts them down quick most of the time. Will the 175 ABLR? I do want to give the 7 MM a shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.