7mm r-m 140g TTSX

Thanks for the help ! I will stay with the 140 . I'm glad I asked now I have no worry's I made a bad choice .

Well I got it . 140g ttsx with 70g of retumbo c.o.a.l. is 3.310 and at 100 yards 3 shoots in side a dime . Dont know the speed yet . just happy the hard part is over . In the barnes loading book it says 3.290 is max length . at that length I was shooting groups a lot bigger . at 3.310 I can still load the clip with out the end of the bullet touching the end of the clip . Is going over the max length OK ???

Last edited:
Well I got it . 140g ttsx with 70g of retumbo c.o.a.l. is 3.310 and at 100 yards 3 shoots in side a dime . Dont know the speed yet . just happy the hard part is over . In the barnes loading book it says 3.290 is max length . at that length I was shooting groups a lot bigger . at 3.310 I can still load the clip with out the end of the bullet touching the end of the clip . Is going over the max length OK ???

Exceeding the standardized Max COAL will not degrade safety provided that you worked up the load for your rifle according to proper procedures.

The published Max COAL is based on the SAAMI or CIP specs that allow manufacturers to produce firearms and ammunition that operate correctly including chambering from the magazine as well as safety.

-- richard

yes I have tried the nosler's but they are not consistent at all. the hornady I have not tried . but hornady only offers 139g in the 7mm and the barnes is 140 and real good groups.
I'd say try the Hornady in the 154 and 162's. Both the interbond and interlock have performed fantastic for me even on really big hogs (+600lbs) in both my 7Rmag and 7mSTW.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .284 7mm :: 7mm .284 154 gr InterBond®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .284 7mm :: 7mm .284 162 gr InterLock® BTSP

I'd say try the Hornady in the 154 and 162's. Both the interbond and interlock have performed fantastic for me even on really big hogs (+600lbs) in both my 7Rmag and 7mSTW.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .284 7mm :: 7mm .284 154 gr InterBond®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .284 7mm :: 7mm .284 162 gr InterLock® BTSP
Those will not work for me I'm in a lead free zone . and hard to get any better groups than what I have gotten from the barnes.

Don't want to hi-jack a thread but wondering if anyone has used the 150g TTSX
on Elk, I'm shooting the 150g out my 7mm Wby and very happy with the accuracy.

Never used them before but also bought some 180g for my 300 Wby. to try.gun)

Don't want to hi-jack a thread but wondering if anyone has used the 150g TTSX
on Elk, I'm shooting the 150g out my 7mm Wby and very happy with the accuracy.

Never used them before but also bought some 180g for my 300 Wby. to try.gun)
have not shoot anything but steel with them . but from what I have read there great . I was told to try them more but the 140g shoot much better for me

TF, Barnes recommends a minimum of 1800 FPS to open their bullet reliably. I would say that you can shoot the full distance at deer with these bullets until you drop below the 1800 fps velocity. I have shot several muleys with these out of my 7mm rem mag. They are wicked mean! I'm shooting right around 3250 FPS with IMR 4831. With my velocity, I could shoot to 800 yards and still have over 1000 ft lbs of energy when the bullet strikes. Both energy and velocity would be adequate for a mule deer at 800 yards. Realizing this is the hard barrier and shots would idealy max out around 700-750 yds. Barnes are a great choice. The 140 grain bullet will not let you down if you do your part. I have seen the in action and am impressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.