Ttsx

NONYA

Finally got the .308 168s I ordered for the VTR project,Im going to use these this season for deer and antelope.Im very familiar with the Barnes TSX but this will be my first time with the tipped versions.Can anyone tell me if the BC is going to be similar to the Hornaday AMAX(0.475)?With the accuraccy that the tip provides on othe AMAX this should be the ideal hunting bullet IMO.
TTSX.jpg

gun)

I also just picked up some .308 168 gr TTSX's for my Sako 300 WSM. The Barnes machine for making them had been down for a while and they're catching up on back orders. I called the Barne tech rep a while back and he gave me an estimated BC of about .450

Having said that, just the other day, I found out that the Nosler E-Tip have just come out which is a similarly constructed bullet. They are made of the same copper alloy that Nosler uses to jacket their other bullets and gives less fouling than the all copper Barnes bullets. The only weights available now in the .308 are the 150 and 180 gr. The 180 gr has a BC of .523

Another difference is the E-Tip will expand down to 1800 fps and the TTSX down to 2000 fps. So right now I am leaning toward the E-Tip.

Here is a test done with the E-Ttip, PT and TTSX. The TTSX penetrates better, but the E-Tip expands a little more. A trade off.

24hourcampfire: Bullet Test Part II (Barnes & Nosler)

Last edited:
Contrary to popular belief the 168 TTSX is not as good for Long rang as is the 180TSX.
The BC is not enough higher and the minimum velocity for expansion is 200 FPS higher than fore the TSX

I have outstanding results with the untipped TSX expanding at all ranges in the 7 and 8 mag out over 600,does the TTSX need more fps to exapnd?I thought the tip helpe the bullet to expand faster and at lower speeds...Guess Ill find out when antelope opens,going for 500+ yard shots,nothing better than field tests to find out what a bullet will really do.

The 168 grain TTSX was stiffened up so as to not loose its pedals when impacting at close range from the big 300 Mags ( Rum & 30/378) as a result the minimum impact velocity for expansion is 2000 FPS per Barnes. The regular TSX is 1800 FPS and I have taken game with the 180 TSX out to 777 yards
If you don't believe me call Barnes and ask the minimum velocity for expansion for the TTSX 168 grain. The TTSX minimum velocity for expansion is not the same in every caliber, case in point the 225 TTSX 338 cal bullet has a lower minimum impact velocity than the standard TSX.
One must pick projectiles for Long Range Hunting carefully. I have used the 180 TSX in my 300 Win for a number of years and would never switch from it to the 168 grain TTSX since it would reduce my range

The standard TSX needs no help in opening as this high speed photo shows. The TSX is completely opened in 2" of ballistic gelatin

rapidexpansion.jpg

What FPS in the photo?Is there a link to a video clip of this shot?Completly expanded in 2" of gel,that is impressive.Im well over 1800 at 500 so within the range I plan on shooting expansion shouldnt be an issue.Does anyone know if they have or will release the tipped tsx in 8mm 180 or 200 gr?

Last edited:
What FPS in the photo?Is there a link to a video clip of this shot?Completly expanded in 2" of gel,that is impressive.Im well over 1800 at 500 so within the range I plan on shooting expansion shouldnt be an issue.Does anyone know if they have or will release the tipped tsx in 8mm 180 or 200 gr?

2000 FPS minimum for the 168 grain TTSX

NONYA, I had a good chat with a Barnes tech rep a while back. They are planning to develop TTSX and MRX bullets for all the calibers eventually. The TTSX bullets (being all copper) are fairly long and they get a little too long in the higher weights for a particular caliber. That's where the MRX bullets come in with a tungsten rear core. You will see the TTSX's on the lower end of the weight scale for a particular caliber and the MRX's on the upper end. The TTSX also has a higher BC than the TSX and the MRX, and the MRX generaly has a higher BC than the TSX.

I think the Barnes bullets are great bullets and have been planning to build my loads on them but now I am reconsidering with the E-Tip which has a greater BC and less fouling. And for a .308, 200 gr bullet the Accubond at .588 BC is hard to beat and a proven accurate and well performing bullet.

The trade off between the TSX/TTSX and the E-Tip is penetration vs expansion and shock, and unlike the exploding BT, the E-Tip remains intact. Also heard that the E-Tip was recently tested in Africa with very good results, but that is very subjective. I'm waiting to hear reports from average guys on these forums including myself. The proof will be in the pudding. We should see some results this fall.

I think the Barnes bullets are great bullets and have been planning to build my loads on them but now I am reconsidering with the E-Tip which has a greater BC and less fouling.

What do you mean that the E-Tip fouls less than the TSX. I have been shooting the TSX for years and it fouls no more than any other bullet. What do you base this claim on?

As far as less fouling, that is what I have heard from another shooter and local gun store clerk. To actually *proove* might be difficult, but the E-Tip is made of a copper alloy and the Barnes bullets are made of copper.

If you are actually interested, you might ask some gunsmiths who own bore scopes what they think... as in comparing Barnes vs other bullets.

Again, I'm not knocking Barnes, just trying to get all the info. I have two boxes of TTSX's sitting right here and still think they would make a great hunting bullet.

I have shoot thousands of the 180 TSX in my 300 Win and they are not prone to fouling at all and are very accurate

This group is at 300 yards

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-groups300-yar.jpg

Fouling wont be an issue while Im only using barnes in the field on game,cant afford to shoot them at paper/steel.Ill get these loaded up,check to make sure zero is the same right before antelope opens and then field test them.Thanx MTRifleman,I have looked at the MRX,price has kept me from getting them but if they offer them in the 8mm I will probably load up a box for elk,that is where the rubber meets the road in my book,elk.When a BT or CT blow up on a doe antelope/MD its not nearly as crucial as on an elk where failed penetration will most likley result in lost game or a very long haul out from a nasty hole.I have killed elk,deer,antelope,coyote,ect with the untippe TSX and I have never seen anything but perfect terminal performance,IMO they are not as accurate at long range as the poly tipped bullets and that is why I chose them for this years deer/antelope.Thanx for the info guys.

425 yards

Groups425Yards002.jpg

Antelope Doe taken at 777 yards. The Little buck was taken at 280 and both were with the 180 TSX

fa7vxj.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts