7mm Max - seeking reliable feed for L/A??

lilharcher

If you are currently running a Long Action on your 7MM Sherman Max, I want to hear from you. I have a Limited Entry, late season Elk Hunt in WY starting in Dec, so I have limited time to get my rifle dialed in. ONLY ISSUE (and it's a deal breaker for my hunt), is my current DBM won't feed reliably (like 1 in 10 will feed…..ouch). I am currently running a H-S Precision Pro Series DBM, which I now realize isnt ideal for the 7 Max.

Again, if you are running a L/A on your 7 Max and have found a reliable bottom metal, please let me know.

Action (in case this matters): ARC Archimedes

I ran a long action 6.5 SAUM with the HS Precision DBM system. I used the 6.5x284 magazine. It's a long action magazine with a spacer in the back. Allows for a 3.1" COAL. It was flawless for the 6.5 SAUM with no mods from how I received new.

$90 @ Redhawk and appears to be in stock now:

It says it'll hold three (3) 6.5x284 rounds but I'm pretty sure it only holds two (2) SAUM sized rounds. Seven (7) round model would probably hold five, maybe six.

I can't find a good picture on the internet for you but I found this thread. It's the bottom magazine on the 1st post.

If you needed more than 3.1" that spacer comes out and you could probably shave a bit off.

Last edited:
If you are currently running a Long Action on your 7MM Sherman Max, I want to hear from you. I have a Limited Entry, late season Elk Hunt in WY starting in Dec, so I have limited time to get my rifle dialed in. ONLY ISSUE (and it's a deal breaker for my hunt), is my current DBM won't feed reliably (like 1 in 10 will feed…..ouch). I am currently running a H-S Precision Pro Series DBM, which I now realize isnt ideal for the 7 Max.

Again, if you are running a L/A on your 7 Max and have found a reliable bottom metal, please let me know.

Action (in case this matters): ARC Archimedes
I ran a Quik Klip from Cabelas and it fed perfectly from a 700 LA
I now use it for the 7 Mega with the same result

Martinakl - got the HS Precision 6.5x284 mags via USPS yesterday from Red Hawk…..it works perfectly. I believe this is the premier 7 Max bottom metal for loads up to 3.1" OAL. Thank you again for the recommendation!

Martinakl - got the HS Precision 6.5x284 mags via USPS yesterday from Red Hawk…..it works perfectly. I believe this is the premier 7 Max bottom metal for loads up to 3.1" OAL. Thank you again for the recommendation!
Nice. Probably the cheapest option as you already had the bottom metal. Just needed a magazine.

Could you post a couple pictures of the magazine with loaded rounds for anyone that stumbles across this post? :)

I think it'd be easy to shorten the rear mag block spacer to create a longer oal too. 3.2" internal is probably ideal for the max. Believe my 195 loads were over 3.1" it my max had longer freebore than Rich's conventional reamer.

Recent Posts