7mm Dakota ?

You could sharpen the shoulder a little and get a little more out of it, but then you are talking all wildcat custom dies now and then there's the fire forming. I'm not sure the little bit of gain would be worth it. The case walls are already fairly straight, so nothing to be gained there. If it were me, I would just neck down the 375 brass and call it good.

That's why I am not you and I am me. If I were you... and you were me... I would use your body to get to the top of the mountain!!!!!:D

Tank

I have a 700 mag action with a pt&g .704 dia mag bolt, thinking about putting a 7mm togather. what about the 7mm Dakota? Anyone using one of these with big bullets? and how fast can you push them. Wanting to build somthing for 1200 yard big game hunting that will work on a mag bolt and has good brass avalable. ????

I built a 7mm Dakota it has a 24.5" mike rock barrel #4 countour on Stiller predator action, I am getting 2900fps with Retumbo with no pressure signs with custom 190gr vlds and I do hunt with them a touch higher 2950fps, and with the 180 bergers and RL-25 i get 3050 no pressure not bad out of a 24.5" barrel.
Elmer

I built a 7mm Dakota it has a 24.5" mike rock barrel #4 countour on Stiller predator action, I am getting 2900fps with Retumbo with no pressure signs with custom 190gr vlds and I do hunt with them a touch higher 2950fps, and with the 180 bergers and RL-25 i get 3050 no pressure not bad out of a 24.5" barrel.
Elmer

where are you getting the 190 vld? What is the rim size on your dakota brass?
my bolt looks to be .542.

I had Kirby Allen build me a 7mm Dakota on a Borden action, 26" #4 fluted Lilja barrel. We talked about the 7/375 Ruger but did not do it. I really like my Dakota, but I think the 7/375 Ruger makes a lot of sense. I would not improve it unless you are going to shoot 180+ grain bullets then it might be worth it, otherwise it is too much powder for the return in my opinion. I had mine built to shoot 160 Nosler AB's.

Matrix Ballistic Bullets This is where I got the 190 vlds, and my brass is from Dakota arms made by Norma, and the rim is .545".
Elmer

What is the guesstimated BC of your 190's? How do the group at long range? How long does it take for an order to get in? How many can you order at one time? Are they consistent in weight and ogive? Just curious, I see they use a lead tip, and they are minus some data that would be nice to see.

Tank

What is the guesstimated BC of your 190's? How do the group at long range? How long does it take for an order to get in? How many can you order at one time? Are they consistent in weight and ogive? Just curious, I see they use a lead tip, and they are minus some data that would be nice to see.

Tank

have'nt shot them past 200, but at 200 half inch if I do my part and the wind cooperates.
Pretty fast
I ordered 500
weight yes, ogive there is a couple thou variance in the 500
no lead tip on the vld's that I ordered
I will be checking the drop on long ranges this spring.
Elmer

have'nt shot them past 200, but at 200 half inch if I do my part and the wind cooperates.
Pretty fast
I ordered 500
weight yes, ogive there is a couple thou variance in the 500
no lead tip on the vld's that I ordered
I will be checking the drop on long ranges this spring.
Elmer

Good to here, let us know how they work long range. You have sparked my interest. Is there any additional charge for custom weight bullets?

Tank

Good to here, let us know how they work long range. You have sparked my interest. Is there any additional charge for custom weight bullets?

Tank
No there is not, and the man making the bullets is a gentleman he sent me my order of bullets and waited till I received them before I sent him the check. Great guy to do bussiness with.
Elmer

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.