7mm Dakota build?

elmerdeer

I'm building a 7mm dakota. here are my questions.
Which barrel maker should I choose? I want a cut rifled barrel No-3 or No-4 contour 26in longs ss with flutes?
I'm thinking of a McMillan edge stock in Rem mountain hunter.
Predator stiller action.
Timney or shillen trigger?
Remouvable clip?
So what do you guys think, it's my first custom.
Thanks
Elmer

Elmerdeer,

For barrels, if you want cut rifled, I would look at the Krieger or Rock barrels. You may have problems with them fluting a barrel of that contour, would have to check. #4 maybe, #3 I would bet not.

Trigger wise, I would recommend a Jewell personally if you can afford one.

Detachable magazine system would be an HS Precision RUM DM system. Will give you that extra length for seating bullets out where they should be.

I see no problem with that receiver.

Should make a hell of a lightweight rifle. Only other thing I would say would be to consider the 7mm STW, same performance, your already needed a long action and brass will be available forever. May not be the case with the 7mm Dakota.

Course for a big game rifle, its pretty easy to stock pile enough brass for a lifetime!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I'm building a 7mm dakota. here are my questions.
Which barrel maker should I choose? I want a cut rifled barrel No-3 or No-4 contour 26in longs ss with flutes?
I'm thinking of a McMillan edge stock in Rem mountain hunter.
Predator stiller action.
Timney or shillen trigger?
Remouvable clip?
So what do you guys think, it's my first custom.
Thanks
Elmer

Elmer,

50 built my 7mm dakota for me and I have no regrets.

ED,
Lilja 1-7 twist barrel, XP-100 action, McMillan Centergrip stock, Near picatinny base, Holland oversize lug and Holland brake.
This is a specialty handgun.

Only bullet I have used is the 200 grain Wildcat bullet @ 2706 fps using Retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.