7mm dakota or 7lrm

This is the first I've heard of the 7mm LRM... maybe you could fill me in?

On the 7 Dakota vs the 7-375 Ruger, I have just gone through the same decision process withe 300 Dakota vs the 300-375 Ruger and picked the 375.

I think both have very well designed cases and they essentially have the same powder capacity but in the case of the 7 Dakota, it is slightly smaller. The 7 Dakota brass is made by Norma and probably a little better than the 375 brass which is made by Hornady.

The problem with the Dakota chamberings is that they are proprietary which makes die and brass selection and cost problematic... which is truly unfortunate because they are great cartridges... and this is why I went with the 375 Ruger parent. Dakota brass is $163 per 100 and 375 can be had for half that.

As far as dies go, Dakota chambered dies are very spendy, but you'll have to get custom dies for the 7-375 Ruger and forming dies. Custom match grade dies from Hornady will run $190 plus shipping, and $22/27 for the micrometer seating stem. You can use the 338 RCM and 300 RCM dies as forming dies for about another $26 ea.

What you save in brass you can put toward good dies.

Now don't forget, you'll have to turn your necks once or twice while forming the 375 cases. So you've got some work involved in getting the 375 to a 284.

The biggest thing that puts me off about Dakota is what they charge for brass.

The nice thing about both these cartridges is they will fit into a Howa/Vanguard and Rem 700 magazine (if not throated real long) with longer bullets vs something like the STW.

Well there you have it... be the first kid on your block with a 7-375 Ruger :)

gun)

FYI,

7mm & 300 = 185.00/c @ Midway & 180.00/c from Dakota Arms.
I talked to Ward @ D.A. two weeks ago and he told me its all now made by Hornady

Rob

Page 2 classifieds here, MCR , 7mm Dakota, interupted flutes,ss,birch thumbhole, no wait, brand newgun)

FYI,

7mm & 300 = 185.00/c @ Midway & 180.00/c from Dakota Arms.
I talked to Ward @ D.A. two weeks ago and he told me its all now made by Hornady

Rob

Interesting, because just a few weeks ago I was told (not by Ward) that the 7mm brass was made by Norma. That being said, I just got some 300 Dakota brass made by Hornady a couple of weeks ago and I think it's great. I think it's better than the Norma 300 WSM brass I got and I like that brass.

If you add your labor and neck turn time , plus the turner ,pilot, expandrion, AND guys that dont want to deal with it . The brass is not a deal breaker

Interesting, because just a few weeks ago I was told (not by Ward) that the 7mm brass was made by Norma. That being said, I just got some 300 Dakota brass made by Hornady a couple of weeks ago and I think it's great. I think it's better than the Norma 300 WSM brass I got and I like that brass.

What got me started on the subject, I am going to re-chamber my 300WM Sendero to 300 Dakota. While talking with one of my smiths about it, the subject of brass came up. He had stated it was now Hornady and "crap". It prompted me to call Dakota to get more info. Indeed they had switched to Hornady which I had always felt was quality and that the Norma brass was a little on the soft side. I got the entire history of the Dakota brass production and by whom past and present.

What got me started on the subject, I am going to re-chamber my 300WM Sendero to 300 Dakota. While talking with one of my smiths about it, the subject of brass came up. He had stated it was now Hornady and "crap". It prompted me to call Dakota to get more info. Indeed they had switched to Hornady which I had always felt was quality and that the Norma brass was a little on the soft side. I got the entire history of the Dakota brass production and by whom past and present.

My smith's opinion was also that Hornady brass was crap and I respect his opinion because he has a lot of experience... but not with 300 Dakota brass. I suspect that Hornady is making the brass to Dakota specs and that may be the difference. I'll be using mine for a 6.5-300 Dakota wildcat.

6.5/300 ? Going for supersonic way out ? Keep us posted on how that works out. Starting my 5th firing today on 9 pcs. of 7 working it as little as possible. No visible issues as yet other than slight primer cratering w/215's, 68gr. N165, .310 NB, jam+.003, sending 175SMK 2945 av., 27" Still trying to find best load/wt. combo, best so far is 67gr..
Still working it at 2.49 and not yet had to trim, I'm going to keep working the same 9pcs. until visible signs start to show up but I believe I should get 10+.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.